Admission to the Major
Major Admission Requirements
Students take some social work courses prior to admission to the major which occurs in the spring of their junior year. To be formally accepted into the social work major, the student will:
- Have junior standing.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 at time of admission to the major.
- Complete a Major Field Card (St. Thomas).
- Achieve a C- or above on the four supporting courses and all social work courses.
- Submit a copy of current transcript. (Unofficial copy is acceptable.)
- Submit a copy of first semester field evaluations and your Standards for Academic and Professional Performance (SAPP).
- Complete an Information Form for social work faculty panel.
- Complete an interview with academic advisor.
- Be reviewed and approved by social work faculty.
Description of Admissions Procedures
- All admission to the major forms are distributed and explained in spring semester of junior fieldwork SOWK 376/378.
- Meeting with academic advisor: February or March of Junior year
- To meet with the student individually to discuss educational plans and needs.
- To assess the student’s academic and social potential for successful completion of the social work program.
- To make a recommendation about acceptance into the major.
- A review of your Information Form, Personal Assessment, transcript, and fieldwork evaluation forms.
- During the meeting, your advisor will consider factors such as academic functioning motivation, commitment, experience, background, existence of any patterns of inappropriate behavior and future goals.
- Students are encouraged to ask questions and share concerns.
- If your advisor has a concern in any area, that concern is shared openly and discussed.
- Your advisor will forward the recommendation to accept you into the major to the full-time faculty.
Review and approval by social work faculty in the decision about accepting you into the major will be made in a meeting of the full-time faculty.
- If you are accepted, an official letter of acceptance will be sent to you.
- You may be accepted conditionally pending satisfactory completion of an identified requirement (e.g., retaking the writing assessment with satisfactory results).
- If you are not accepted, because a requirement is not met or for some other concern, you will be asked to reschedule with your advisor, and possibly the BSW Program Director, to discuss the issues and your options.