Our BSW graduates are exceptionally prepared for generalist social work practice and licensure, and for graduate study.
St. Thomas students will earn a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree
The Social Work Profession
- Social work is the helping profession grounded in a "person-in-environment" orientation and focused on human dignity and social justice. See Social Work: Is it for you?
- Social work is a licensed profession. In Minnesota, only those who graduate from a CSWE-accredited school of social work can be hired as social workers. See Social Work Licensure
- Social work offers a huge variety of employment options, working with diverse populations in myriad settings. See Using Your Degree
- Social work employment is expected to grow by over 12% over the next decade, one of the fastest-growing careers. See Careers in Social Work
Distinctive Features of the Major
- BSW students gain exceptional real-world work experience during 600 hours of supervised field education (200 hours as a Junior and 400 hours as a Senior)
- NEW Accelerated MSW Admission process for BSW's in their Junior year
- Study abroad option in Cuernavaca, Mexico, during spring junior semester fulfills social work major requirements
- Numerous opportunities for student-faculty research and conference presentations
Other Distinctive Features:
- Faculty are recognized scholars, researchers and practitioners committed to community engagement and teaching excellence
- The School of Social Work offers 3 minor options: Social Services Management, Chemical Dependency Counseling: Addiction & Recovery, and a minor in Social Welfare
- Principles of faith and reason inform our curriculum and prioritize social justice. Our Social Work for Social Justice - Ten Principles have been adopted by schools of social work across the country.
- St. Kate's - St. Thomas School of Social Work ranked in the top third of programs nationally by U.S. News & World Report
- Our joint BSW program has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) since 1975.
- Exceptional professional network of 3500+ School of Social Work graduates (both BSW and MSW)