St. Thomas Financial Aid, Grants & Scholarships

All financial aid for the MSW program is administered through the University of St. Thomas. Graduate students may receive any of the loan funds administered by the university. In order to establish eligibility for financial aid, students must complete a standard financial aid application (FAFSA), which can be found on the graduate financial aid website. The University of St. Thomas school code is 002345.  Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis. Candidates must complete new application materials for each year of study. 

The Graduate Financial Aid Office can provide additional information about the following scholarship & grant opportunities, as well as opportunities for federal or state-level loan forgiveness/repayment programs for mental health professionals:

UST Diversity Grants

Graduate students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA and who bring to the school distinctive personal characteristics or who have overcome significant obstacles or hardships should apply for a diversity grant.

UST Yellow Ribbon Program for Post 9/11 GI Bill Recipients

The University of St. Thomas is proud to continue a long tradition of supporting veterans by participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program

Federal "Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program"

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. Social work students often work for qualified employers and may be eligible for this program.  Learn more about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

NASW also has resources about national loan forgiveness programs on their web site:

National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program

Primary care medical, dental and mental/behavioral health clinicians can get up to $50,000 to repay their health profession student loans in exchange for a two-year commitment to work at an approved NHSC site in a high-need, underserved area. The payment is free from Federal income tax and is made at the beginning of service so you can more quickly pay down your loans. Approved sites are located across the U.S., in both urban and rural areas.

After completing your initial service commitment, you can apply to extend your service and receive additional loan repayment assistance.

The amount you receive and length of your commitment depends on where you serve (service at sites in higher need areas yields greater loan repayments). It also depends on whether you select the full-time or half-time option.

Learn more»

Minnesota’s Loan Forgiveness & Repayment Programs for Health Professionals

Minnesota’s Loan Forgiveness & Repayment Programs recruit and retain health care professionals to needed areas and facilities within Minnesota. The Minnesota Loan Forgiveness Programs are entirely funded by the state of Minnesota and administered by the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Rural Health and Primary Care. 

Licensed Clinical Social Workers fall under the classification of Rural or Urban Mental Health Professionals*: LICSW, LMFT, LPCC or Licensed Psychologist

*According to Minnesota Statute, a “rural designated area” is defined as outside the seven metro counties with the exception of Northfield, Hanover, Rockford and New Prague, excluding the cities of Duluth, Mankato, Moorhead, Rochester, and St. Cloud.

Urban Mental Health Professionals and Physicians Only: Underserved urban communities in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth, Mankato, or Moorhead designated as a mental health or primary medical care health professional shortage area (HPSA) or medically underserved area (MUA), or with medically underserved populations (MUPs).

Outside Scholarship Searches

The UST Graduate Financial Aid website also had links to outside scholarship searches that graduate students should explore for additional scholarship opportunities.  The link to recommended search sites can be found here»

School of Social Work Scholarships & Grants

In 2014-2015, the School of Social Work provided over $250,000 in scholarship and grant awards from its own resources to incoming graduate students. Included are Dean's Scholarships based on undergraduate academic achievement and Diversity Grants. If eligible, notices of these awards are included in the applicants' acceptance packets and there is no separate application process. These scholarships & grants are awarded for the first year of study only and are non-renewable.  

If you are a St. Kate's or St. Thomas undergraduate alumna/us, regardless of major, you are eligible for an alumni grant. 

St. Kate’s – St. Thomas Undergraduate Alumni Grant

For those entering the program in 2016, all undergraduate alumni from St. Catherine University and the University of St. Thomas are eligible to receive a Master of Social Work tuition discount of 10%. This opportunity applies to all St. Kate's and St. Thomas undergraduate alumni/ae, regardless of major.

The Alumni Grant represents a tuition discount of 10%. Admitted students who are eligible for a Dean’s Scholarship or the Diversity Grant are not eligible to receive multiple awards, so will be offered the award of greatest value.  The Alumni Grant will be deducted from each semester's tuition for the duration of the MSW program.


After acceptance to the MSW program, incoming students are provided information about additional scholarship and financial assistance programs for which they are invited to apply. 

These opportunities include the following:

Areas of Emphasis Scholars: Gero Practice, Military Practice, and Practice with Immigrants & Refugees

The School of Social Work offers the following areas of emphasis scholars programs in clinical practice that include a tuition stipend of $1000:

  • Gero Practice - 2016 AEA application is closed. Please contact the AEA coordinator for more information.
  • Military Practice - 2016 AEMP application is closed. Please contact the AEMP coordinator for more information.
  • Practice with Immigrants and Refugees - 2016 AEIR application is closed. Please contact the AEIR coordinator for more information.

Please note: You will not have the ability to save the application while in-progress and return later. You may click the application link to review the full application and questions before returning to submit.


Social Work Health Care Education and Leadership Scholars (HEALS)

In the spring of 2015, the St. Kate's - St. Thomas School of of Social Work was selected as one of ten schools to be awarded with scholarships under the CSWE and NASW Social Work Health Care Education and Leadership Scholars (HEALS) program. The ten selected schools of social work will serve as the hub for scholarships to educate and train social workers to strengthen the delivery of health care services in the U.S.  The five-year grant will provide $110,000 to support up to 20 BSW and MSW students.

HEALS participants will:

  • Experience robust healthcare education and training
  • Travel to a 1.5 day health care social work education and policy event in Washington, DC.
  • Receive a $4,000 stipend and $1,500 in travel support to attend the policy and education event

Applications will be mailed to eligible students in late May.

MSW Research Assistantship Information & Application

The School of Social Work offers numerous graduate research assistantship opportunities each year. Applying for a research assistantship is an excellent opportunity to work with individual faculty or staff on academic research or special projects. Research assistantships run from September - May and are paid $13.75/hr. Students are awarded a certain number of total hours for the year (typically 100 hours), depending on the faculty / staff member needs they are matched with.

The application is available here:  Research Assistant Application 2016-2017

If you have any questions or issues completing the application, please contact Lisa Dalsin -

Endowed Scholarships: Jan Andrews Schenk & Noel Ryan

Students can apply for the following endowed scholarships offered by the School of Social Work:

  • Jan Andrews Schenk Memorial Scholarship for a student who demonstrates commitment to the promotion of social justice through social group work. JASMS Summary

    2016 application is available HERE

  • Noel Ryan Endowed Scholarship for a student who is employed or has a placement in the field of public child welfare or child protection.

    2016 application is available HERE

Please note: You will not have the ability to save the application while in-progress and return later. You may click the application link to review the full application and questions before returning to submit.

The Hartford Partnership Program for Aging Education (HPPAE) Program

HPPAE is a national initiative that provides an opportunity to explore geriatric social work as part of the foundation year of the MSW curriculum. The 2016 Online HPPAE application is available HERE

Please note: You will not have the ability to save the application while in-progress and return later.  You may click the application link to review the full application and questions before returning to submit.

Diversity Social Work Advancement Program (DSWAP)

The Family Partnership's (TFP's) DSWAP program is designed to increase the number of individuals from immigrant, refugee and minority communities working in the field of mental health. The School of Social Work partners with TFP to select up to three DSWAP Scholars each year.

DSWAP Summary

2016 DSWAP application is available HERE.

Please note: You will not have the ability to save the application while in-progress and return later. You may click the application link to review the full application and questions before returning to submit.

Outside Scholarships

Prospective MSW students are encouraged to seek additional outside scholarships from other professional associations/organizations. This list represents those with which we are currently familiar, but many students find additional opportunities through their own research.