Our MSW students and alumni (some of whom are Area of Emphasis in Military Practice Scholars) are gaining national attention for their military-related research, advancing the field of military social work and raising awareness about this unique area of practice. In addition to military-related Clinical Research Paper projects completed by our AEMP scholars and other St. Kate's - St. Thomas MSW students, below are examples of military-related research presented by our students and alumni to a national audience:
- Mariah Rooney O’Brien, MSW ’16, will present her peer-reviewed poster, “Posttraumatic Outcomes Among Veterans: The Predictive Role of Exposure to Interpersonal Trauma,” at the 2016 CSWE-APM conference in Atlanta in November.
- Kimberly Rorie, MSW '16, presented her peer-reviewed poster "Addressing the aging healthcare crisis: Considerations for the veteran population" at the American Public Health Association Meeting & Exposition in Chicago, IL. She is also included on a chapter to be published in August, 2016: Fletcher, K. L., Albright, D. L., Rorie, K. A., & Lewis, A. M. (in press). Older veterans. In J. Beder (Ed.) Caring for the military: A guide for helping professionals. New York: Routledge. ISBN# 9781138119529. (Invited; chapter accepted; publication date August 9, 2016).
- Marcus Kuboy, MSW ’15, presented “Trauma and Coming Through to Serve” at the “Together-Serving Those Who Served” Conference, April 15, 2015, at the Camp Ripley Hangar Conference Center in Little Falls, MN. Marcus also presented "Effects of Mindfulness Practice on Veterans with Comorbid Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury" at the Third Annual Military and Veteran Social Work Conference, Strengthening Military Families Through Effective Community Practices, September 16-18, 2015, in Austin, TX.
- Lisa Bittner, MSW ‘15 presented her poster “How is Social Media Used by Military Families to Communicate During Deployment?” at the Second Annual Military and Veteran Social Work Conference, Veterans in Transition, June 6–7, 2014, in St. Leo, FL.
- Patrick Foley, MA, MSW ‘14, presented “The Metaphors they Carry: Exploring Veterans’ Use of Metaphor in Describing Experiences of PTSD and the Implications for Social Work Practice” at the Second Annual Military and Veteran Social Work Conference, Veterans in Transition, June 6–7, 2014, in St. Leo, FL. Pat later had a paper published based on this research: Foley, P. (2015). The metaphors they carry: Exploring how veterans use metaphor to describe experiences of PTSD. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 28 (2), pp. 129-146.