The design of the curriculum for the MSW program is consistent with the curriculum guidelines of the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The program is based on the view of social work as a profession that builds on social science knowledge and educates for increased development of practice knowledge and competence. The model upon which this program is built proposes that education for social work practice is conducted at three distinct levels: undergraduate (entry-level practice), masters (advanced practice) and doctoral (research oriented). All social work education is based upon a foundation of liberal arts education. Professional practice at all three levels is unified by a common core of values, knowledge, and skills.
Clinical social workers are found in myriad settings and are skilled at working with diverse populations. In addition, St. Kate's - St. Thomas MSW students have the opportunity to explore areas of interest and focus in a particular area of clinical social work practice. Our MSW program provides exceptional preparation for clinical social work practice:
- 25+ years exclusively focused on clinical social work practice
- Clinically engaged faculty: 20+ licensed MSW faculty members who maintain clinical practice and/or have recognized clinical expertise
- Clinical field placement: Students complete 600 hours of field placement that provide clinical supervision based on collaborative partnerships with a statewide network in clinical social work community settings.
- Clinical network: Graduates join our network of 2300+ clinically-prepared MSW alumni, many of whom remain active as field supervisors and on clinical research paper committees
- Grounding in history and philosophy of the social work profession: At entry into our program all students take GRSW 500: History and Philosophy of Social Work
- Preparation for clinical licensure: Graduates are prepared to meet the 360 clock-hours of clinical curriculum requirement to apply for clinical licensure in MN (following the 2-year requirement of supervised clinical practice and required continuing education). Our graduates’ first-time pass rate on the ASWB clinical licensure exam is well-above the national average.