Areas of Emphasis Scholars
Opportunities for clinical practice specialization
Clinical social workers are found in myriad settings and are skilled at working with diverse populations. St. Thomas MSW students have the opportunity to focus in a particular area of clinical social work practice through their choice of elective courses, their field practicum, course assignments and (for some) a clinical research paper.
In addition, our MSW students may apply to become an Area of Emphasis Scholar in one of three critical, emerging clinical practice areas:
- Gero-Social Work Practice / Area of Emphasis in Aging (AEA) Scholars: clinical practice with older adults and their families
- Military Practice / Area of Emphasis in Military Practice (AEMP) Scholars: clinical practice with service members, veterans and their families
- Practice with Immigrants and Refugees / Area of Emphasis in Practice with Immigrants and Refugees (AEIR) Scholars: clinical practice with immigrants, refugees, their families and communities
Each area of emphasis brings together MSW students, faculty and community members in a program of coursework, practicum, research and community partnership.
Participation as an Area of Emphasis Scholar includes:
- Courses, course assignments and events specific to the relevant population
- Leadership opportunities within each Scholars cohort
- Field practicum in a setting that serves the relevant population
- Course assignments and/or clinical research paper specific to the area of emphasis
- Tuition stipend of $1,000
Prospective and current MSW students who meet the criteria can apply to become an Area of Emphasis Scholar. When applications are being accepted, links to the applications will be found on our scholarships & grants webpage»