MSW Application Process
Step 1: Review Admission Criteria
Step 2: Complete the St. Thomas online application
The application for 2021 is now closed. The School of Social Work is revising its application process and will provide more details by early summer. Please check back at that time.
The MSW application for all tracks starting in 2022 opens September 1, 2021. Priority application deadline for all options is January 10; secondary deadline for extended-time completion options is March 10.
- Create an account
The online application will have instructions to provide the following:
- Academic History
- Employment information
- Current résumé
- Three letters of recommendation
- Fieldwork instructor evaluation (Advanced-standing applicants only)
- Proof of completion of three prerequisite courses that must be completed before starting the MSW program: Statistics or Research Methods, Lifespan Developmental Psychology, and Human Biology. You may apply to the MSW program if you are missing one or more prerequisites, but all prerequisites must be completed before the first day of graduate classes.
- Personal statement
- International applicants must submit credential evaluations and acceptable test scores for proof of English proficiency
There is no application fee to apply to the MSW program,
Step 3: Request transcripts from all institutions from which you received credit.*
- Transcripts should be sent to:
University of St. Thomas
Graduate Records - Admissions
1000 LaSalle Ave., Box 5
Minneapolis, MN 55403-2005
- If the institution provides the option to have the transcript emailed directly to the University of St. Thomas as a PDF, it can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org