Field instructors carry primary responsibility for the student’s education and training in an agency setting. The field instructor supervises and teaches social work knowledge, values, and skills and evaluates student performance.
Agency-based training, supervision and mentoring is a hallmark of social work education and practice. You can continue this legacy by becoming a field instructor.
- Professional development with up to 12-15 hours of free continuing education events per year, including ethics and supervision content
- Affiliation with both St. Catherine University and the University of St. Thomas, including:
- Library privileges at St. Catherine University for the academic year
- Butler Center gym and pool access for the academic year
- Invitations to additional workshops, trainings, and events through the School of Social Work
- On-going engagement with social work education and research
- Workforce development: social work interns make great candidates for full-time employment in your agency
- All Field Instructors supervising BSW students must have a social work degree and license or be included in the legal exemption category. All field instructors must have two years of post-BSW or -MSW experience.
- All Field Instructors supervising MSW students must have an MSW and two years of post-MSW experience.
- Field Instructors for Foundation Practica must be licensed at any MSW level or included in a legal exemption category.
- Field instructors supervising Clinical Practica must be licensed at the independent level or included in a legal exemption category.
The Field Education faculty and staff work closely with you to support each student’s success. Field faculty liaisons visit you and your student, typically twice a year. Liaisons are available for phone consultation or additional visits, as needed.
For more information about BSW Field Education, contact:
- Carey Winkler, MSW, LICSW, Director of BSW Field Education
651-962-5815 | email@example.com
For more information about MSW Field Education, contact:
- Lisa Richardson, MSS, LICSW, Director of MSW Field Education
651-690-6825 | firstname.lastname@example.org