"Meet the Directors" - BSW Information Session at St. Thomas
Explore the St. Kate's - St. Thomas Bachelor of Social Work program!
Date & Time:
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
University of St. Thomas, Anderson Student Center, ASC237
BSW Program Director, Dr. Sarah Ferguson, and the Director of BSW Field Education, Carey Winkler, will provide an overview of the the social work profession, the social work major, social work field education, and our two new minors, Social Services Management and Chemical Dependency Counseling: Addiction & Recovery. Drop in - no registration required!
Visit our website: www.stthomas.edu/socialwork/undergraduate
Did you know?
- Social Work is a licensed profession. Social work employment is expected to grow by almost 20% this decade! Growing areas of social work practice include:
- Child / Family / School
- Military / Veterans
- Health Care
- Aging / Gerontology
- Immigrant / Refugee
- Mental Health
- And many more!
- Social Work students gain real-world experience during 600 hours of "field education" (juniors complete a 200-hour placement and seniors complete a 400-hour placement), learning and practicing the knowledge, values, and skills of a social worker in a wide range of community-based settings and supervised by trained, agency-based social workers. Students practice skills such as:
- Community Outreach
- Group Work
- Communication & Interviewing
- Strengths-based Intervention & Support
- Graduates with a BSW can enter a master's degree in social work (MSW) program as an Advanced Standing student and complete it in as little as one year. For junior social work majors interested in pursuing an MSW in clinical social work practice* after completion of their BSW, the School of Social Work has introduced an Accelerated MSW Admissions process. *Clinical social workers are the largest group of professionally trained mental health providers in the U.S., supplying more than half of counseling and therapy services (NASW).
Advocate. Empower. Promote social justice. Become a social worker!