BECOME A FIELD INSTRUCTOR
Have you considered hosting a student?
Field education is one of the most impactful components of social work education. Many of us remember our first field placement and our early supervisors. These formative impressions inform our careers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Field instructors carry primary responsibility for the student’s education and training in an agency setting. The field instructor supervises and teaches social work knowledge, values, and skills and evaluates student performance.
Agency-based training, supervision and mentoring is a hallmark of social work education and practice. You can continue this legacy by becoming a field instructor.
- Professional development with 12-18 hours of free continuing education events per year, including ethics and supervision content
- Invitations to additional workshops, trainings, and events through the School of Social Work
- On-going engagement with social work education and research
- Workforce development: social work interns make great candidates for full-time employment in your agency!
- All Field Instructors supervising BSW students must have a social work degree and license or be included in the legal exemption category. All field instructors must have two years of post-BSW or -MSW experience.
- All Field Instructors supervising MSW students must have an MSW and two years of post-MSW experience.
- Field Instructors for Foundation Practica must be licensed at any MSW level or included in a legal exemption category.
- Field instructors supervising Clinical Practica must be licensed at the independent level or included in a legal exemption category.
The Field Education faculty and staff work closely with you to support each student’s success. Field faculty liaisons visit you and your student, typically twice a year. Liaisons are available for phone consultation or additional visits, as needed.
For more information, contact the School of Social Work Field Office:
Christa Bobick, Field Information Coordinator
651-962-5806 | email@example.com