Helping Women Become Entrepreneurs for Good: A Series
A 4-part, semester-long series for women who want to make a living putting their passions into action
This series is led by local social entrepreneur and founder and CEO of Academy for Women's Empowerment, Kristi Hemmer.
Session I: Doing good is good for business
September 25, 3:00-4:00 in ASC 115 (MakerSpace)
Do you want to do good in the world? Or make money to have a good life? What if you could do both? Learn how young women around the world are doing just that with social entreprenurship. They had a social question and created a business to solve it.
In this POWERtalk, you will:
- Be inspired by young women like you who are changing the world for good with business.
- Understand what social entrepreneurship is and what it means for you.
- Connect with other curious minds who want to make the world a safer, more equitable, and caring place.
Session II: Mind the gap
October 20, 12.00-1.00pm in OEC 103 (Luann Dummer Center for Women)
Do you wonder why there is homelessness? Hunger? Inequity? Do you see gaps in systems? Then join us for Feminist Friday to clarify your BIG question and what you can do about it. AND learn how women run/led businesses outperform men in innovation, culture, retention, and financial.
In this POWERshop, you will:
- Identify your BIG question to help guide you in your college years and beyond.
- Learn the POWER of women in business and the world.
- Connect with other women who not only want a better world but want to do something about it.
Session III: Do something that matters (Field trip!)
November 10, 4-5, My Sister
Note: Once you register, you'll receive info about the possibility of carpooling to My Sister from St. Thomas.
It’s field trip time! Now that you’ve learned a bit about social entrepreneurship and doing good with business, let’s go check one or two out. Or learn as you go!
In this POWERtrip, you will:
- Visit and learn from real social enterprises in the Twin Cities.
- Understand the POWER of social enterprise’s impact on both people and profits.
- Connect with other women who not only want a better world but are doing something about it.
Session IV: Activating the do-gooder: A mini-startup workshop
December 16, 1:00-4:00 pm, ASC 341 ASC 365
You want to do good and you want a good life. In this interactive three-hour workshop, you will learn the five things all successful social entrepreneurs do, how to operate from Brave not Perfect, and the POWER of your presence. Then, with the help of Kristi and the other women who attend, you’ll map a 90-day plan to rehearse for success and then share your idea with the group, so we can invest in you. An AWEsome way to end the semester, start the new year, and unleash your potential. NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY.
In this POWERshop, you will:
- Operate from Brave not Perfect.
- Share and map your idea.
- Learn POWERtools to build your confidence as a social entrepreneur.
- Invest in yourself and other women.
Kristi Hemmer is a social entrepreneur, storyteller, sojourner, albanil, and MOXIEmaker. As an educator for 25+ years, Kristi saw firsthand how SUPERstar girls/women shrink in a classroom, boardroom, and conversation; it made her mad enough to quit her six-figure job, travel the world learning about social entrepreneurship and the GIRLeffect, and start her own social business AWEinc. (Academy for Women’s Empowerment). AWEinc unleashes the potential in each woman by disrupting the status quo four ways: Corporate America, Youth Programs, International Travel, and Social Entrepreneurship. AWEinc. teaches women and girls to be brave NOT perfect. Learn more at www.puttingwomeninpower.com
Drop in for one session or attend all four and earn a certificate!
Co-sponsored by the Luann Dummer Center for Women and the Social Innovation Collaboratory