2020 Summer Housing Information
Summer Housing is available for enrolled St. Thomas students from the end May until the first week of August. The application for summer housing can be found in Murphy Online in the Student Housing System starting Wednesday, March 11. Priority is given to students who are taking classes, working on campus, or engaged in summer research on campus.
Some items to note about summer housing moves and transition.
- Students living on campus in spring of 2020will need to be able to move the entire time period of Thursday, May 28 through Thursday, June 4. Students unable to move during the entire week period will need to move out of their spring housing and can move back in when they return and the room is ready.
- Students not living on campus for Fall of 2020 will be required to move out of summer housing on Sunday, August 9. All other students will move to their fall rooms between August 10 and 16 and must be available all the days for a potential move. Please note these are prior to the completion of courses for the 2nd summer session for academics. No exceptions can be made to this policy as we need to prepare for the students arriving in the fall semester.
To see details about the summer housing agreement please select here: 2020 Summer Agreement. This is what you will agree to when applying for summer housing.
The text version of the agreement is below:
Summer Housing Agreement - Adjusted 4-22-2020
By submitting a summer housing application online through the Student Housing System, you are agreeing to all terms outlined below including the move-in and move-out date and the billing of housing to your St. Thomas Student Account. Additionally, you are subject to any policies outlined in the Resident Student Handbook found online at: https://www.stthomas.edu/residencelife/general/handbook/.
Any research grants to pay for housing fees are administered by the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program or your individual department and should be applied by those departments to your student bill. Any questions about these grants should be directed back to the appropriate department.
Important Dates for Summer Housing
Sunday, May 3– Application Due, must be submitted online through the Student Housing System
Friday, May 8 – Email will be sent when Assignment & Roommate Info is available in the housing portal
Wednesday, May 27 – Sunday, May 31 – Move to Summer Rooms – all on-campus students must be available to move for the entire time once they are notified their summer room is ready, no exceptions can be made.
Sunday, August 9 – Off-Campus move out date, students not living on campus in the fall must move out
Monday, August 10 - Sunday, August 16– Students living on-campus in the fall move to their fall room.
students must be available the entire week to move into their fall room. No Exceptions can be made.
Summer Move-in Dates
There will be an entire week designated to move for the summer (see below). The date you can move is determined by Residence Life after the space is cleaned and available and is not easily predictable. Students may not request a particular date over another, and students selecting summer housing must be available for all days within the move-in week with no exceptions.
- Wednesday, May 27 – Sunday, May 31 – All residents move into their summer rooms within 48 hours of notification that their room is cleaned and ready.
- Summer residents who will not be living on campus fall semester must move out by Sunday, August 9, 2020.
- If you have a room for fall semester you must move directly into your fall room within 48 hours of notification of your fall room being cleaned and ready.
- You must be available to move the ENTIRE time between August 10 and 16. If you are unable to commit to the entire set of dates to move, you will need to make other arrangements to move out of the space to an off-campus location prior to August 9 and can move into your fall room at a later time.
- The exact date between August 10 and 16 to move will be unknown until up to 4:00 p.m. on any given day that week. Dates can vary based on your fall assignment, cleaning priorities, and conferences on campus.
- Koch Desk will handle all moves to fall rooms from summer housing.
- Failure to move within 48 hours of notification will result in a $250 charge.
There is a $250 charge if you presently live on campus and are assigned a move date and do not move from your spring space to your summer space on that date. If you are unsure you can move on any dates listed above, you may choose to move your items out of your spring space before moving into summer housing. There will be no charge to residents if they are asked to move outside of these dates and are unavailable at that time.
If you currently reside in Flynn Hall, there is no guarantee that you will be staying in your current space. Housing is used in Flynn Apartments on floors 4-7. Your request for an apartment or suite for summer housing may impact if you may stay in your spring/fall space for the summer Housing will be assigned 2 people to an apartment due to social distancing and safety guidelines.
Priority for Housing
Students completing a summer housing application by the May 3 priority deadline and are doing summer research, taking a class, or working on campus will be considered on a first-come-first-serve basis for summer housing. If space is available, and upon approval from the Department of Residence Life, we will provide housing to students not taking a class or working on campus, and a continuing student for fall semester 2020.
Your account will be billed on May 18 for the entire summer session if you indicate needing housing for the entire summer. If you move in after that date, you will be billed within 2 business days of signing up for housing. If you decide to leave summer housing earlier than you intended you must notify the Department of Residence Life in advance of your move out date or you will be charged for the entire summer session. Date of move-in and move-out are based on the day you pick up your check-in packet and when you turn in your key for the room and sign off the damage form at the end of the summer. If you move out, you cannot use the room as storage space.
Rates and Total Cost for Summer Housing
Housing will be accommodated in apartments only, with no more than two students to an apartment each having their own bathroom.
- Flynn Hall Apartment $1,200
If students move in after June 4 or move out prior to August 1, the cost for the summer will be pro-rated based on the day you check-in or check-out of the summer room. No pro-rating of summer housing costs will be done for moves outside of the listed dates. If for any reason summer housing needs to be discontinued due to health and safety concerns, a pro-rated refund will be given to students based on their move-out date.
Move Out (End of Summer Housing)
Room & Roommate Assignments
All summer assignments will be available on the online housing system on May 8, 2020 by 4:00 p.m. This listing will include the names of your assigned roommates, email addresses and contact phone numbers, so you may contact them. The Department of Residence Life reserves the right to make roommate and assignment changes, and will make every attempt to notify students of roommate changes, but cannot guarantee notification or timing of roommate changes after the initial assignment letter.
Summer housing Research Grants
Students looking for a summer housing research grant must apply for that grant separately through the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program and their website here: https://www.stthomas.edu/urop/programs/summergrants/summerhousinggrants/. The deadline to apply for this grant is Sunday, April 19 at 10:00 p.m. CDT. Residence Life does not administer the grants, and a credit for the grant amount is issued to a student bill from the UROP Office after summer housing is billed. The grant may not cover all costs associated with summer housing.