Sustainability in the Residence Halls
Residence Life at the University of St. Thomas is committed to being more sustainable through the following programs:
- Recycling program that includes recycling bins provided in each residence hall room and apartment.
- Recycling available in the trash rooms on each floor of each hall.
- Smart strip program that helps reduce "phantom" energy usage by electronics.
- Purchasing of Energy STAR appliances including stoves, microwaves, washers, and dryers.
- Computer labs and offices that use 100% recycled paper and remanufactured cartridges for ink and toner. Additionally, all ink and toner cartridges are returned for recycling.
Ways you can be more sustainable in the Residence Halls:
- Utilize recycling bins and empty them into the proper recycling recepticals on your floor.
- Turn off your lights and electronics (computer, stereo, television) when you leave your room.
- Do not run the water while doing dishes or brusing your teeth.
- Dispose of potential hazardous waste items appropriately (ink cartridges, batteries, CFL lightbulbs, etc.)
Sustainable products for your room:
- Desk lamps with LED lights or CFLs
- Eco-friendly alarm clocks
- Energy STAR rated mini-refrigerators
- Energy STAR rated personal fan
- Biodegradable laundry powder
- "Oxy" bleach alternatives
- Non-synthetic, petroleum-free laundry baskets and bags
- Eco-friendly clothes hangers
- Rechargeable batteries
- Water filter pitcher
- Reusable non-plastic water bottles
- Smart strips energy strips