REAP (Reserve Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 1607)
You may qualify for these benefits if you
Are a Reservist or National Guard member.
Served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, for at least 90 consecutive days.
If you enroll full time, you will receive a monthly stipend for personal use.
Your monthly stipend will be reduced proportionately if you enroll part time. Visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp for complete information on current rates.
Your benefit affects financial aid in the same way as scholarships or other need-based education resources. It does not affect eligibility for Federal Pell or Minnesota State grants.
If you were eligible for a kicker under Chapter 1606, you will continue to receive the kicker through Chapter 1607.
Benefits must be used while actively drilling with the National Guard/Reserve unit. Once you leave the National Guard/Reserves, your education benefit ends.
Documentation required for Chapter 1607
Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans Certification Office (MHC 126), based on the description that best fits your circumstances.
If you have never applied for benefits and you are not eligible for Chapter 1606 benefits, submit:
1. Paper Application for VA Benefits (22-1990) with "Application for Chapter 1607" notated at the top of the form
2. Kicker Agreement, if applicable
3. Discharge from Active Duty (DD214)
4. Military orders
If you have never applied and you are eligible for Chapter 1606, submit:
1. Application for VA Benefits (22-1990)
2. Paper Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995) with "Application for Chapter 1607" notated at the top of the form
3. Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
4. Kicker Agreement, if applicable
5. Discharge from Active Duty (DD214)
6. Military orders
If you have had a one-year break in attendance at the University, or used your benefit at another institution, or are currently certified under Chapter 1606, submit:
1. Paper Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995) with "Application for Chapter 1607" notated at the top of the form
2. Discharge from Active Duty (DD214)
3. Military orders