Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

You may qualify for these benefits if you:

  • Are a Reservist or National Guard member who signed a six-year obligation on or after July 1, 1985.
  • Completed initial active duty training.
  • Are in good standing with your drilling Selected Reserve unit.

Benefit guidelines


You will receive a monthly stipend for personal use each month for 36 months (rate as of October 1, 2006), if you are a full-time student. Your benefit will be reduced proportionately for part-time enrollment.

Visit for complete information on current rates.

The Department of Defense may make additional contributions, or kickers, on your behalf if you are an individual who served in a critical military field. Contact your unit to find out if you qualify for the kicker.

Your benefit affects financial aid in the same way as scholarships or other need-based education resources. Chapter 1606 benefits do not affect your eligibility for a Federal Pell or Minnesota State grant.

Your benefits must be used while actively drilling with a National Guard/Reserve unit. Once you leave the National Guard/Reserves, your education benefit ends.

Documentation required for Chapter 1606

Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans Certification Office (MHC 126), according to your circumstances.

If you have never applied for benefits, submit:
1. Application for VA Benefits (22-1990) 
2. Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) 
3. Kicker Agreement, if applicable

If you have had a one-year break in attendance at the University, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:
1. Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995)