Registration Instructions for Veterans Certification

To be certified for Veterans Benefits programs, follow the University of St Thomas and U. S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA) basic procedures described on these pages.

Step 1.
Apply for your educational benefits via VONAPP. Please see your chapter below for more specific information. (EXCEPTION: Applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a USDVA counselor).

Step 2.
When you have completed the VONAPP process, please contact the Veterans School Certifying Official (SCO) in the Registrar’s Office so your registration status can be submitted to the VA. The Registrar's Office is located on the St Paul campus in Murray-Herrick Campus Center [MHC], Room 126. Please provide the following information regarding your VA education benefits:

  • Benefit Chapter [and % eligible for Chp 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill]
  • Your Academic Program
  • Anticipated starting term for benefits
  • Chp 35 recipients will also need to provide the Veteran's file number

Note: Documentation of eligibility may be necessary before we can report enrollment to the VA. Information regarding monthly stipends, eligibility periods, financial aid criteria, and any required documentation is provided at the links below.

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary. Veterans’ education benefits must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have specific questions about a program that aren't answered on these pages, please contact the USDVA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis toll-free at 1-888-442-4551, or go to their Web site,

Benefit programs

Post 9/11 GI Bill [Chapter 33 information and application]

Undergraduate Yellow Ribbon Program

Graduate Yellow Ribbon Program

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

REAP (Reserve Educational Assistance Program-Chapter 1607)

DEAP (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 35)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

Verify your enrollment

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 recipients: Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.

Important Notice to eligible MN veterans:
The Minnesota G.I. Bill program was established in 2007 to provide postsecondary educational assistance to eligible MN veterans and service members as well as eligible spouses and children of deceased or severely disabled eligible MN veterans. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester.

To review the entire list of eligibility requirements and to complete the online Minnesota GI Bill Application, please click  here.

If you have questions about the MN GI Bill, please contact the UST Financial Aid Office (651) 962-6550 or the MN Office of Higher Education (651) 259-3955.

Helpful Veteran Resources

Veteran's Certification Office
(Located in the 
Student Data & Registrar's Office)
University of St. Thomas
MHC 126
Mail# 5001  
2115 Summit Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105
651-962-6700 (Phone)

651-962-6710 (fax)

U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA)
St. Paul Regional Office
Phone toll-free: 
St. Louis Regional Processing Office 
Phone toll-free: 
1-888-GI-BILL1 or 

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
20 West 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-296-2562
Web site:

Veterans Transition Center
Scott Mills 
U.S. Department of Labor 
Veterans Employment and Training 
1st National Bank Building 
332 Minnesota St 
St. Paul, MN 55101 
Transition Assistance

Veterans Resource Office (Duane Bauer)
Higher Education Veterans Programs
State Veterans Service Bldg 
20 W 12th St – 2nd Floor
St Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-757-1594

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs 
30 W. Mifflin Street
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: 608-266-1311 
Phone toll-free from outside the Madison metropolitan area: 1-800-947-8387