You may be eligible if you are the spouse or dependent of a veteran who:

  • Is totally and permanently disabled from a service-related injury.
  • Died due to a service-related injury.

Benefit guidelines

You will receive a stipend for personal use each month for up to 45 months, if you are a full-time student. The rates for part-time students are reduced proportionately. Visit for complete information on current rates.

Generally, spouses must use this benefit within 10 years from the date their eligibility was determined by USDVA. Children must use the benefit between ages of 18-26.

Your benefit affects financial aid in the same way as scholarships or other need-based education resources. Chapter 35 benefits do not affect your eligibility for Federal Pell or Minnesota State grants.

Documentation required for Chapter 35

Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans Certification Office (MHC 126), according to your circumstances.

If you have never applied for benefits, submit:
1. Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational (22-5490)

If you have had a one-year break in attendance at the University, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:
1. Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995)