Name and/or Address Change
One of the following forms of legal documents is needed before a change to legal name will be completed:
- Social Security Card: The card must have the correct/current name (a copy of both the back and front of the card are required). The number on the card will need to match the number that we have on the system in order for this form of documentation to be accepted.
- Marriage License: A copy with both the old/previous and new/changed name included in the documentation.
- Divorce Papers: A copy with both the old/previous and new/changed name included in the documentation.
- Court Ordered Documentation: A copy with both the old/previous and new/changed name included in the documentation.
- Driver’s License that reflects name change; must be valid (non-expired); and Social Security Card with current name.
The Registrar's office accepts name changes in the following ways:
- You may send, fax or deliver a signed letter and the required documents.
- You may submit a transcript request that is accompanied by the required documentation.
- Name changes must have the student's:
- Old name,
- New name,
- Required documents, and
- Student's signature
- Date of birth and UST ID number and/or last 4 digits of Social Security Number (SSN) should also be included
NOTE: We do not change names when we receive a form or letter that indicates a name has changed without first having the required documents, as outlined above.
To request a change to your preferred first name:
Students are now able to submit an email, directly from their St. Thomas email account, to request that their preferred first name be updated. The email must include your nine-digit UST ID number and your changes to your preferred first name.
Your preferred first name is distinct from your legal name and will be used for internal University of St. Thomas communications including: class rosters, residence life information, and more! We are very excited about the inclusivity and flexibility that this option offers our students. You may also come in person to the Office of the University Registrar (located at MHC 126 and TMH 251) to request a change to your preferred first name. You may also mail or fax us a signed letter requesting your preferred first name be updated. For our contact information, please click here.
Please note: requesting a change to your preferred first name does not change your legal name at the University. Your legal name will still appear on official documents including your Official Transcript. To change your legal name please follow the instructions outlined at the top of this page.
Currently Enrolled Students:
Log on to Murphy Online.
- Choose the Student Services Menu
- Choose the Personal Information Menu
- Click on the Update Addresses and Phones
You may send, fax or deliver a signed letter requesting that your address be changed. Please include:
- Your previous address and new address information, along with any changes to your telephone number(s)
- Previous/prior name(s)
- Date of birth
- UST ID number and/or last 4 digits of Social Security Number (SSN)
- Student"s signature