Grade Changes

Date Implemented: November 21, 2002
Date Revised: February 24, 2009

Grade changes must be submitted to the appropriate school or college by University of St. Thomas approved procedures:

1) An instructor must use an approved grade change form in order for a grade change to be processed.
2) The instructor must sign the form that is submitted with the grade change.  
3) Grade change forms must be submitted to the appropriate school or college.
4) An instructor may change a grade if there has been an error in the computation, transcription, or reporting of the grade. Changes may not be made on the basis of additional work completed by a student unless all members of the class had the option to submit additional work.

In an instance where a grade has not been assigned at the end of the term, a designation of Not Recorded (NR) will be assigned to the student’s academic record.  The NR must be changed to a grade by May 1 for the fall semester or January term; by December 1 for the spring semester or summer session. In the absence of a final grade on or before the deadline, the mark of NR will be changed to a grade of F or R. This deadline may not be extended. The instructor may change a resulting F or R by means of the university grade change forms, policies and procedures listed above.

Important Note: In the absence of a more stringent policy at the school or college level the University Graduate Academic Policies apply. Should a graduate program not have a specific policy or should there be omissions or gaps in the policy for a specific graduate school program, the University Graduate Policy shall govern.

The Graduate Academic Policies are the responsibility of the Graduate Curriculum Committee Convener. For additions or revisions contact