The Print Shop at St. Thomas
The Print Shop at St. Thomas is a full-service digital print shop located on the St. Paul Campus of the University of St. Thomas. We’re committed to offering the highest level of service through exceptional customer care, competitive pricing and quick turnaround.
Serving the university is how we got started 90+ years ago. Over the years, we expanded to provide printing, mailing and graphic design services to customers throughout the Twin Cities area. Our clients include schools, local businesses, entrepreneurs, individuals and more.
Our shop name has changed over the years, as has our location on campus. What hasn't changed are the ideals and values behind our work. As a business venture of the University of St. Thomas, we uphold the mission, convictions and values of the University and believe strongly in the charism of our institution: All for the Common Good.
Current manager Leann Martens was hired at St. Thomas in 1978. With more than 40 years of experience in the shop, Martens has seen great progress and great change. Over the years, services expanded to include graphic design and mailing services. Martens became the production manager in 1995, and has won numerous awards from the Twin Cities chapter of the In-Plant Management Association for publications she produced. She oversaw the shop's transition to digital printing, and leads The Print Shop's crew of five employees.
In 1958, Tom Cheney was hired to head the Duplicating Department, and he modernized operations. Upon his retirement in 1995, Cheney talked about the outdated equipment he inherited when he was hired. "We had a small offset press that didn't work, an oil-based mimeograph and an old standard duplicating machine that you fed by hand," he laughed. With the support of business manager John Goodwin, the shop's equipment was upgraded to include a spirit duplicator, also known as a ditto machine, a new offset press, and a mimeograph machine that used water-based ink.
Our name, The Print Shop at St. Thomas, was new in 2020. We also moved to our current location in the lower level of the Murray-Herrick Campus Center in 2020. We're right off Cleveland Avenue, making our new location convenient for customers to drop by. We're an all-digital print shop today, and have invested in some of the latest technology in digital printing. Our newest press is the Xerox Iridesse.
Some of our long-time customers will remember the shop was previously called the Service Center. From 1989 to 2020, the Service Center operated out of the Service Center building on south campus, which was originally built as a gymnasium for the St. Paul Seminary. The building was designed by famed architect Cass Gilbert ad built in 1894. Before the rise of digital printing, the shop operated four offset presses.
Before the shop moved to the Service Center Building, it was located in the basement of Aquinas Hall, formerly known as the Liberal Arts Building, constructed in 1932.
The Earliest Days
The earliest mention of printing or copying services on campus is in 1928, when it was announced in The Aquin that John Goodwin, the University's business manager, had hired Sadie LeClair as the head of the College Stenographic Bureau.
The department maintained the name Stenographic Bureau until becoming the Duplicating Department in 1949. The shop's original location was in the old Administration Building, which was later razed.