Future J-1 Scholars

Are you interested in teaching or doing research at the University of St. Thomas?

  1. Contact the academic department or college in which you would like to teach or do research.
  2. Once an arrangement is made, confirm the dates and the purpose of your visit.
  3. The St. Thomas Academic Department will request a DS-2019 from Office of International Students & Scholars (so that you can apply for your J-1 visa).
  4. The DS-2019 and other important information about St. Thomas will be sent to you so that you can apply for the visa.
  5. Upon arrival in St. Paul, check-in with Office of International Students & Scholars and receive a J-1 scholar orientation.

The University of St. Thomas strongly recommends that you purchase ISO’s J-1 Exchange Plan to cover your stay in the U.S.  It is very affordable and meets the minimum requirements set by Department of State.

U.S. Immigration law requires all J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents to have health/medical insurance at all times while participating in the J-1 exchange program; this includes the 30 days before and after the J-1 program. Health Insurance, Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance are required of all J-1 and J-2 exchange visitors.

Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits [22 CFR 62.14].

  1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  2. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  3. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  4. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

U.S. immigration law permits all J-1 visa holders and their J-2 dependents to enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the program start date on the DS-2019. You must schedule an appointment with Office of International Students & Scholars for a 1:1 J-1 orientation upon arrival.