Helpful Documents for Families

Return to Family Invitation Letter Request Form

Family members (other than your spouse or children) wishing to visit the US must apply for a "tourist" (B1/B2) visa at the US embassy in their home countries.

Ensure that your family members have the following evidence, which will be helpful during the visa application process:

  • Invitation letter from you: Write a letter of invitation that includes the following: your name and your reason for living in the US, the names of your family members who wish to visit, the purpose and approximate length of the visit, and whether you will provide room and board or any other financial assistance for the visit.
  • Evidence of Funding: If you will provide room and board or any other specific expenses of the trip (such as airfare), you should supply evidence of your funding such as a bank statement or employment letter. There is no minimum dollar amount that you must reflect; but you should indicate an amount that is reasonable for the level of support you are providing.
  • Evidence of you status in the US: Provide your family members with a copy of your I-20 (do NOT send the original) and other documents verifying your status in the US. (It is not necessary to get a new I-20 when inviting family members.)
  • Evidence of intent to return home: Your family members must prove that they will return home after visiting the U.S. Documents showing employment, property ownership, or enrollment in school (in the home country) are considered good evidence of intent to return home.
  • Evidence of Funding: If your family members intend to cover their own expenses, they should provide a bank statement, employment verification or other evidence of funding.

Consult the web!

The US State Department/Bureau of Consular Affairs has a website with additional information about applying for a tourist visa. In addition, many individual consulates will have more specific information about inviting family members on their websites. You can find links to US Consulates around the world.

If you are inviting your spouse or children (under the age of 21) to the US, please schedule an appointment with one of our advisors for information about dependent visas.