Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)

The University of St. Thomas Office of International Students sponsors an IRS-certified on-campus VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program to help international students comply with their annual income tax return filing obligations.

Which international students need to file annual income tax returns?

All “F” and “J” visa status students are required to file income tax returns each year.

Which filing status should be used, resident alien or non-resident alien?

International students who are temporarily present in the U.S. under an “F” or “J” visa are generally classified as “non-resident aliens” for U.S. tax purposes.  These students should review IRS Form 1040NR and Form 8843 to assess their income tax filing requirements.
International students who have been present in the U.S. for 5 years may become “resident aliens” for U.S. tax purposes and are “out of scope” for the services of the St. Thomas VITA Program.  Resident alien students can get free help at other VITA sites (e.g. Prepare + Prosper).

When is the deadline to file 2018 income tax returns?

U.S. and Minnesota income tax returns must be filed by April 15, 2019.  Be sure to consult the instructions to the tax forms for the correct mailing address for your income tax returns.

Need help with filing your income tax returns?

Starting in February there will be individual tax sessions available for one-on-one sessions. OISS will not hold a tax workshop, we will only offer individual sessions.

Is software available to help with this income tax return process?

You can receive a free subscription to GLACIER tax software by e-mailing  The cost for this software is paid by St. Thomas and the software is only available to St. Thomas “F” and “J” international students.

The GLACIER tax software will only assist with your U.S. income tax return.  You may also be required to file a Minnesota income tax return.  Please see the link for information on your Minnesota income tax return filing requirement.

Note: OISS staff is neither certified nor permitted to give individual tax advice.