Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Maintaining a valid F-1 status and must have been a full-time student for one academic year
- Must be a currently enrolled St. Thomas student (including summer)
- Must obtain a job or internship directly related to your current field of study and integral part of the established curriculum*.
- Can be paid or unpaid employment
- Must receive approval from your academic department (and OISS) and must fit into one of the following categories:
- Must be a part of an internship/practicum that is required of all students in that program.
- Work experience required by a particular course currently enrolled. OISS only authorizes CPT for the semester in which this course is required.
* All CPT authorizations are made in semester/term increments and students must be registered for a course or internship credit for the term in which they are authorized for CPT.
- CPT must be authorized PRIOR to the first day of work by OISS every term (including summer) and every time a student changes employers. Failure to receive authorization prior to working for a company will result in your SEVIS record being terminated.
- Part-time CPT is considered anything less than 20 hours/week; Full-time CPT is anything more than 20 hours/week.
- Part-time CPT is unlimited; 12 months of Full-time CPT or more will make you lose your entire period of Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- CPT can be authorized full-time or part-time during the year or in summer.
- Meet eligibility requirements and obtain job offer letter.
- Offer letter should include job title, job responsibilities, starting and ending dates of employment, number of hours per week, confirmation that the employer agrees to cooperate with St. Thomas in achieving the curricular purposes of the employment and place of employment on official company letterhead.
- Complete the CPT Recommendation Form by receiving approval from your academic department.
- Register for the appropriate course for the given term. Check the CPT Course List for a listing of approved courses.
- Make an appointment with an OISS advisor and bring:
- Completed OISS CPT form (signed by your academic advisor)
- Offer letter from your employer
- Proof of registration for internship course