UST in the news
Here’s an extra roundup this week of stories of interest that mention St. Thomas. We thought you might like to see them before the holidays, when Bulletin Today takes a two-week hiatus.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Heavenly justice: The attorney as man of God,” Minnesota Law and Politics, December/January 2003. Nice profile of Father John Malone, who used to teach business law at St. Thomas, where he now works as a development officer and law school chaplain in addition to serving as pastor of Assumption Catholic Church in downtown St. Paul. (Article not available online but magazine is on newsstands now.)
- “Edifice Rex: UST prof uncovers tempestuous tale of a master church builder that had been lost for 300 years,” Highland Villager, Dec. 18, 2002. This feature showcases the scholarly adventures of Dr. Susan Webster of the UST Art History Department. (Article not available online, but newspaper is on newsstands now.)
- “Abbey has turned corner in abuse scandal, victims’ attorney says,” National Catholic Reporter, Dec. 13, 2002. The story quotes Patrick Schiltz of UST School of Law.
- “Scandals in the church: The impact; Cardinal’s resignation won’t stop lawsuits, but alters atmosphere,” The New York Times, Dec. 14, 2002. Patrick Schiltz of the UST School of Law is quoted. To read this one, you can create a free account, then view
- “Boston’s cardinal resigns over sex abuse scandal,” Washington Post, Dec. 14, 2002. Patrick Schiltz of the UST School of Law is quoted.
- “Construction not completed in timely fashion can be costly,” Pittsburgh (Pa.) Post-Gazette, Dec. 15, 2002. UST’s George Karvel, Distinguished Chair in Real Estate, is quoted. (Not available online, but searching Lexis-Nexus database, accessible from UST computers at
http://www.lib.stthomas.edu/databases/full_text.htm , will yield this one.)
- “The Star Tribune Nonprofit 100: Economy affecting many nonprofits,” Star Tribune, Dec. 15, 2002. St. Thomas was third on the paper’s Private College Assets list, but not mentioned in the accompanying story:
- “Clean hands and a strong arm,” USA Today, Dec. 16, 2002. Patrick Schiltz of the UST School of Law is quoted. (Available at
- “Property-tax increases will pinch some buyers,” Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2002. UST’s George Karvel, Distinguished Chair in Real Estate, is quoted.
- “Boston church scandal starts chain reaction,” USA Today, Dec. 19, 2002. Patrick Schiltz of the UST School of Law is quoted.
- “Within your reach: Physicians can learn the language and art of business, but don’t expect a big raise or top job without experience,” Modern Physician, Dec. 1, 2002. Roger Gilbertson of UST’s Physician Leadership College program is quoted. You’ll have to register on the site to read this one:
- See also: “MBA programs for physicians,” Modern Physician, Dec. 2, 2002.
- Flocks of shoppers, even by night," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 20, 2002. Dr. Dave Brennan, co-director of UST’s Institute for Retail Excellence, is quoted in this Page 1 story. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/4777742.htm