UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “St. Thomas to launch full-time MBA,” The Business Journal, May 23, 2003.
- “Dave Beal: Restless investors put pressure on executives ,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 25, 2003. Dr. Michael Sullivan, of the UST College of Business, is quoted.
- “Business forum: Some modest, and not-so-modest, exec pay comparisons,” Star Tribune, May 25, 2003. Dr. Fred Zimmerman, of Programs in Engineering and Technology Management, offers up some wisdom about executive compensation.
- “St. Paul priest to Hmong dies,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 26, 2003. Here’s a well-written obituary of Father Robert Wellisch, associate professor of English, who died in a car accident over the Memorial Day weekend.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/5945222.htm The Associated Press distributed the story, which also appeared in the Star Tribune’s Web site on May 26, 2003: http://www.startribune.com/stories/468/3902810.html . The Star Tribune’s May 26 news obituary of Wellisch, “Obituary: The Rev. Robert Wellisch, pastor to Twin Cities Hmong, dies,” appears here: http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3902353.html
- See also: “Twin Cities: Hmong honor life of late priest,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 31, 2003. The story is a report on Father Wellisch’s funeral and includes interviews with members of the Twin Cities Hmong community.
- See also: “Hmong community, St. Thomas mourn death of Father Wellisch,” The Catholic Spirit, May 29, 2003. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=1262
- “Rozellville native leaves mark at Minnesota College,” Marshfield (Wis.) News-Herald, May 26, 2003. Here’s a “hometown girl makes good” story: Rozelleville, Wis., native Bernice Folz received the UST Distinguished Service Award in recognition of her achievements as the founder and longtime director of the University’s Graduate Programs in Software.
- “Neal St. Anthony/On Business: St. Thomas business school to follow two tracks,” Star Tribune, May 28, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3905017.html
- “Bethel College: Escalating hate crimes teach hard lessons,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, May 29, 2003. The editorial also points out that UST has dealt with hate crimes.
- “Hands in prayer: Integral to nearly every faith,” Star Tribune, May 31, 2003. Mary Margaret Hoden of the UST Theology Department is quoted.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, June 1, 2003.
- “Poor economy causes many to flock to graduate schools,” Star Tribune, June 2, 2003. “At the University of St. Thomas, applications to the school’s biggest graduate program — the business school — have rebounded this year. Last spring, St. Thomas’ College of Business had only 51 applications for the master’s in business administration (MBA) program. But this year, the school already has 153 applications, said Christopher Puto, the school’s dean.”
- “Gramenz sparks Thunder in 4-2 win,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 1, 2003. Minnesota Thunder defender Don Gramenz must have plans for life after soccer; he is a recent graduate of St. Thomas and has a master’s degree in education.
- “Phoenix bishop delegates power and avoids charges ,” Star Tribune, June 3, 2003. Included in this story, which originated at the Washington Post, is a quote from a UST School of Law faculty member: “ ‘
A bishop of the Roman Catholic Church . . . can agree himself not to do something, but he can’t bind his successors to do something that is contrary to Roman Catholic canon law,’ said Patrick J. Schiltz of the law school at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/3915417.html
- “Phoenix bishop says he hid abuse,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 3, 2003. The St. Paul paper also ran the Washington Post story above. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/6000184.htm
- “Minnesota Bound: Big Cat Rescue,” KARE-TV 11 p.m. news, June 3, 2003. Tammy Quist, a St. Thomas alumna, and her organization,
The Wildcat Sanctuary, were profiled. http://www.kare11.com/extras/index.asp?EXTRA_ID=47722
- “Study: Twin Cities best job market for grads,” Star Tribune, June 4, 2003. “Diane Crist, director of career development at the University of St. Thomas, said graduates are finding jobs, but they must be more flexible.”
- “St. Thomas unveils ‘final’ development plan,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 5, 2003.
- “St. Thomas unveils final expansion plans for St. Paul campus,” Star Tribune, June 5, 2003.