UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Shamrock a relatively recent Irish icon,” Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel and distributed by Scripps-Howard News Service, March 10, 2003. Jim Rogers of UST’s Center for Irish Studies tells all about the shamrock. file:///Macintosh%20HD/Documents/Microsoft%20User%20Data/Outlook%20User%20Data/Temporary%20Items/LexisNexis(TM)Academic-Doc.htm
- “Education chief’s husband gets $84,000-a-year state job,” Star Tribune, March 11, 2003. Dennis Yecke has taken graduate courses at St. Thomas.
- “Tammy Quist’s Wildcat Sanctuary helps big cats remain wild at heart,” Star Tribune, March 12, 2003. Quist is a 1993 UST alumna.
- “Classical music calendar for March 14-20,” Star Tribune, March 14, 2003.
- “Theater, dance and comedy calendar for March 14-20,” Star Tribune, March 14, 2003.
- “Sports briefs,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, March 12, 2003. Check here for updates on Tommie track and field, hockey and baseball.
- “Calendar of events,” The Catholic Spirit, March 13, 2003.
- “Luck O’ the Irish Extra,” KARE-TV, March 16, 2003. This piece, on St. Paul’s Irish roots, noted UST’s Irish origins and the existence of UST’s Center for Irish Studies; quoted Jim Rogers, the center’s director; and included footage from a UST Irish language course. (Story not available online, but station’s home page is http://www.kare11.com.)
- “Archdiocese, victims at an impasse over abuse negotiations,” Star Tribune, March 16, 2003. This Associated Press story quotes Patrick Schiltz of UST’s School of Law.
- “Hopes and creativity soar at Science Olympiad,” Star Tribune, March 16, 2003. Here’s a fun story about the annual competition for high-school scientists, held at UST March 15. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3758438.html
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, March 16, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3752145.html
- “Outside interests rule in gym class,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, March 16, 2003. Here’s a profile of Anoka High School teacher Roger Rowbotham, who has a master’s in education from St. Thomas.
- “Bruce Brothers’ Recreation Notebook: Seymour to be honored as Human Race Hero,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, March 16, 2003. The Human Race 8K — formerly the St. Patrick’s Day race — begins at 1:20 p.m. next Sunday on the roads around the University of St. Thomas.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, March 17, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3756631.html
- WCCO-TV’s 6 p.m. newscast on March 17, 2003, featured a variety of comments by several St. Thomas students about impending war in Iraq. (Not available online.)