UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Speed dating,” WCCO-TV 10 p.m. newscast, Dec. 30, 2002. Dr. Meg Wilkes Karraker was interviewed for this segment about a new social phenomenon; a followup segment on the participants is scheduled to be broadcast on Valentine’s Day. (The December piece is not available online.)
- “Score one for good advice,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 2, 2003. Jeff Cornwall, Entrepreneurship Department, is quoted.
- “Peace at what cost?” The Catholic Spirit, Feb. 6, 2003. St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity student Paul Kammen wrote this “My Turn” editorial column in the archdiocesan newspaper.
- “Classical music calendar,” Star Tribune, Feb. 7, 2003. The calendar notes the Feb. 11 campus performance by the Harlem Gospel Choir. http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/3633007.html
- “Freetime art calendar,” Star Tribune, Feb. 7, 2003. The calendar notes the exhibit at St. Paul’s and
Gallery by Russian artist Alexander Federov, who spoke at UST Feb. 5. http://www.startribune.com/stories/1375/3635320.html
- “Get out of debt – now,” KARE-11 10 p.m. news, Feb. 6, 2003. This KARE-11 “Extra” segment included comments from David Vang, chair of UST’s Finance Department.
- “Obituary: Krebsbach, 80, owned Midway Chevrolet,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 7, 2003. A 1946 St. Thomas alumnus, Krebsbach was a former member of the St. Thomas board of trustees and a former chair of the college’s President’s Council.
- “Weekly planner,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 7. This business calendar includes the Twin Cities Electronic Commerce Forum and the Women in Leadership Round Table hosted by the John M. Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship in the UST College of Business.
- “Loan program offers 3-percent-down mortgage with no PMI,” Star Tribune, Feb. 8, 2003. Dr. George Karvel, who holds UST’s chair in real estate, is quoted.
- “Faith & Values calendar,” Star Tribune, Feb. 8, 2003. The calendar includes a talk by the Rev. Barry Cytron of the Jay Phillips Center for Jewish-Christian Learning.
- “Hockey roundup,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 8, 2003. The Augsburg men’s hockey team beat St. Thomas on Feb. 7.
- “Activities in religion calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 8, 2003. The calendar includes the Feb. 11 UST performance of the Harlem Gospel Choir.
- “Sid Hartman: Best effort gives Gophers a must victory,” Star Tribune, Feb. 9, 2003. The column also notes, “The annual Mike and John Tice Football Camp will be held June 22 to 26 at St. Thomas. The staff includes Vikings assistant coaches and stars such as quarterback Daunte Culpepper, defensive tackle Chris Hovan and center Matt Birk. For information call 301-625-7713.” Star Tribune, Feb. 9, 2003.
- “College hoops,” Star Tribune, Feb. 9, 2003. The roundup includes highlights from the UST men’s basketball team’s win and women’s basketball team’
s loss to Gustavus on Feb. 8.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Feb. 9, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3640679.html
- “Area men: Toms widen MIAC lead, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 9, 2003.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Feb. 10, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3639094.html
- “Obituary: D. Hamrin, teacher, bank official, 95,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 10, 2003. Hamrin was a 1935 St. Thomas alumnus. http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/5144999.htm
- “Prep notes,” Star Tribune, Feb. 11, 2003. Included in the column: “Dan Green, a football assistant at the University of St. Thomas, has been named head coach at Osseo High School. Green was the defensive coordinator at Osseo from 1977 to 1992 and has been at St. Thomas since then.” http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/3645648.html
- “Hearings will discuss budget cuts, bus fares,” Star Tribune, Feb. 11, 2003. St. Thomas’ Minneapolis campus will host one of Metro Transit’s public hearings.