Kodály Chapter of Minnesota Workshop
Tom Michalek presents: Pixie Dust? No, Yearly Planning: Organization can Work Magic!
Date & Time:
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
University of St. Thomas
Brady Educational Center Auditorium
2115 Summit Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105
Presented by Tom Michalek
A sound Kodály-inspired lesson can and should feel “magical.” Children are engaged and on-task, singing, moving, reading and writing music, creating music, listening to music, playing instruments… However, this does not actually occur “magically” or by chance, but is usually the result of solid organization. This active session will address strategies that can make or break the music program of any school, such as:
- Yearly, Weekly, and Daily Planning Formats.
- A lesson plan format for optimum music making.
- Student routines and expectations.
- Classroom set-up.
- Management ideas for using rhythm and barred instruments.
- Quick ways to redirect students.
Singing games, movement activities and folk dances will also be presented, along with strategies to teach them while holding the students’ attention.