Tables Decennales, 1853-1863
"The Tables Decennales" have been published periodically since 1807, when they were instituted during the French occupation of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. In the nineteenth century, they consisted of ten-year compilations of birth, marriage, and death records from village/commune civil registrations, organized alphabetically by surname. As such they constitute an excellent source for family historians interested in linking a Luxembourg surname with a particular locality. Social historians also have found these compilations useful for the study of Luxembourg demographics.
Searches in this database can be undertaken by surname, record type (birth, death, marriage), village/commune, or canton (Luxembourg is divided administratively into cantons which in turn are subdivided into villages or communes). Search results are presented in terms of surname, village/commune, canton, record type, quantity of each record type present per locality, and Utah Genealogical Society microfilm number. The UGS microfilm number allows a researcher to consult the original microfilmed record in the Department of Special Collections or any Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ("Mormon") Family History Library. This database initially was developed using the March 1994 "Locality Catalog" for Luxembourg published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Microfilm roll numbers for certain localities have changed in the meantime. Please consult your "LDS" Family History Library for a comparative list of old and new microfilm numbers.
The "Tables Decennales 1853-1863" were chosen for indexing because they constitute the ten-year compilation most likely to "capture" records of individuals who migrated to North America in the later nineteenth century.
Search Tables Decennales
- Enter the SURNAME you want to search or a minimum of the first three letters of that SURNAME (for possible alternate spellings).
- Select the TYPE of record you are interested in finding (BIRTH, DEATH, or MARRIAGE records, or ALL record types).
- If you know the VILLAGE/COMMUNE you wish to search, select it by clicking the down arrow and highlighting the appropriate locality. NOTE: the CANTON box will default to ALL when you are searching a VILLAGE/COMMUNE. If you don't know the VILLAGE/COMMUNE you want, select ALL.
- You can limit your search to a specific CANTON (similar to a U.S. county) by clicking the down arrow and highlighting the appropriate locality. NOTE: the VILLAGE/COMMUNE box will default to ALL when you undertake a CANTON search. If you do not know the the CANTON you want, select ALL.
- Select the alphabetical "sort" arrangement you would prefer for the listing of your search results.