Undergraduate Fellowship for Research on Topics on Women and/or Gender-Related Issues
The Luann Dummer Center for Women is pleased to offer an undergraduate fellowship to students who will conduct research on women and/or gender-related issues. This award has been offered since the 1996-1997 academic year.
Proposals are accepted from students in all academic disciplines who will be juniors or seniors during the year of the fellowship. Students must be enrolled at UST during most or all of this time period. The grant recipient can complete his or her research during the 2019-2020 academic year, but it is encouraged to be completed during the summer of 2019. Students who apply must secure a faculty sponsor; present research questions and goals, along with a timetable; demonstrate knowledge of current literature and research methods; and, indicate how the proposed research fits into the student’s development as a research scholar. A $4,000 stipend will be awarded to the student to support work on the project, and a $1,500 stipend will be provided to the faculty sponsor.
Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- the degree to which the project is centered on the significance of gender in its focus on women and/or girls,
- the familiarity with and use of methodologies related to that task,
- the clarity of the research objectives and of the process for conducting research,
- the overall academic strength of the applicant and the likelihood of completing the project,
- the reasonableness of the time-line, including IRB approval where applicable,
- the originality of the proposal, including its use of alternative methodologies that pay particular attention to gender,
- the support of the faculty sponsor.
The research fellow agrees to credit the Luann Dummer Center for Women as co-sponsor and funder in all research papers, publications, or other outcomes of the research. The fellow also agrees to submit a formal research report and to present their work at an appropriate venue (such as Grant Recipients Reception) in the Luann Dummer Center for Women during spring semester 2020.
The application cover sheet and proposal should be submitted as one PDF, or Word document, to the Luann Dummer Center for Women, email@example.com, no later than 4:30 pm on Friday, March 15, 2019. Members of the LDCW Advisory Board will then review applications and notify applicants of their decision.
1. A cover sheet with the following information:
- Student's name, student ID number, mail box number, home address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Proposed Title and abstract (less than 50 words)
- Faculty sponsor's name and department, phone # and e-mail address
2. A research proposal, typed and either 1.5 or double-spaced, no more than 5 pages, including:
- the focus, goals and significance of your research proposal
- an overview of related literature, including important citations
- research activities and methods
- a timetable for your work
- a description of your preparation for this research, and how it fits into your development as a scholar
3. Letter of support from faculty sponsor
4. Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
An example of a winning proposal from the previous year will be provided upon request.
Finally, the Luann Dummer Center for Women would like to request that all recepients be involved in various LDCW programs (such as Feminist Fridays and other events) throughout the duration of their fellowship. These and more events can be found on our website here. It's important that we build a sense of intellectual community. Thank you!