Curriculum Development Grant
The Luann Dummer Center for Women is pleased to offer an annual award to a faculty member for the purpose of developing a course that focuses on women. Preferably, the grant will provide a course release for the faculty member, though applications for other kinds of support will also be considered.
Both undergraduate and graduate faculty are invited to apply for this grant. Because the Center is interested in supporting significant curriculum development, preference will be given to proposals for courses that are likely to become permanent and to be offered on a regular basis. Undergraduate courses will also be expected to meet the criteria for inclusion in the Women’s Studies listings, and faculty developing such courses are encouraged to submit those courses to the Women’s Studies Committee for review. All faculty who receive this grant will provide an evaluative report at the end of the grant period describing the course and its contribution to the curriculum, as well as a report once the course has been offered regarding its enrollment, the degree of its success, and its status in receiving approval as a permanent course.
In reviewing proposals, the LDCW Advisory Board will give preference to applications that create new courses, though applications to revise existing courses in accordance with new theoretical approaches or to incorporate in new ways material related to women will also be considered. Proposals in areas of study that do not currently offer women-focused courses are especially encouraged. The LDCW Advisory Board will also give preference to applications that seek to develop for their current courses community-based learning that engages women or girls in the community, though applications that create new courses or significantly revise current courses will also be considered.
Proposals for the 2018-2019 academic year must include a cover sheet with the following information:
- Faculty member’s name, department, e-mail address, and campus phone
- Proposed title/focus of course to be developed (for use in Center announcements)
- A brief (fewer than 50 words) description of the course focus (for use in Center announcements)
- Signatures of department chair or program director, and appropriate dean, acknowledging that they will coordinate a course release if that is the form the award will take
In addition, the proposal should address the following:
- Describe the course that you plan to develop. What would its focus be? Who would be the primary audience for this course? When would you anticipate first offering it?
- Describe your plan for developing this course. What in your background prepares you to develop it? What additional reading, research, and other activities would you complete in order to develop the course? Please include a bibliography, if appropriate, and a timeline.
- What other Women’s Studies courses are currently being offered at UST in your field or in related fields? How would this course complement these offerings?
- If this is an undergraduate course, briefly indicate how you anticipate it fulfilling the criteria for approval as a Women’s Studies course. Please note that it is expected that undergraduate courses developed through this grant will be submitted to the Women’s Studies Advisory Committee for approval, and will be developed with those guidelines in mind. Criteria and procedures for submission are available in the Women’s Center.
- What is the likelihood that this course will become a permanent offering in your department? What level of departmental support do you anticipate? What difficulties might arise?
- Please list all grants that you have received in the past three years, including sabbatical leaves, Faculty Development grants, departmental course releases, and outside awards. Also please indicate if you are applying for other grants for the academic year during which you would receive this award.
- Prepare a budget for this award, indicating whether the award would be used for a course release or for other curriculum development activities (total expenditures not to exceed the equivalent of one course replacement by an adjunct faculty member). If the award is to be used for a course release, please also have your department chair/program director and your dean sign the application cover sheet.
The application cover sheet and proposal should be submitted as one PDF, or Word document, to the Luann Dummer Center for Women, email@example.com, no later than Friday, April 6, 2018. Members of the LDCW Advisory Board will then review applications and notify applicants of their decision.
The Luann Dummer Center for Women would like to request that all recepients be involved in various LDCW programs (such as Feminist Fridays and other events) throughout the duration of their grant. These and more events can be found on our website here. It's important that we build a sense of intellectual community. Thank you!