Curriculum Development Grant
The Luann Dummer Center for Women is pleased to offer an annual award to a faculty member for the purpose of developing a course that focuses on women and gender studies. Preferably, the grant will provide a course release for the faculty member, though applications for other kinds of support will also be considered.
Both undergraduate and graduate faculty are invited to apply for this grant. Because the Luann Dummer Center for Women is interested in supporting significant curriculum development, preference will be given to proposals for courses that are likely to become permanent and to be offered on a regular basis. Undergraduate courses are expected to meet the criteria for inclusion in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies listings. Faculty developing such courses are encouraged to submit those courses to the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Committee for review. All faculty who receive this grant will provide an evaluative report at the end of the grant period describing the course and its contribution to the curriculum. Once the course has been offered, the facutly member will also need to submit a report on its enrollment, the degree of its success, and its status in receiving approval as a permanent course.
In reviewing proposals, the LDCW Advisory Board will give preference to applications that create new courses, though applications to revise existing courses in accordance with new theoretical approaches or to incorporate material related to women and gender in new ways will also be considered. Proposals in areas of study that do not currently offer women- or gender-focused courses are especially encouraged. The LDCW Advisory Board will also give preference to applications that seek to develop community-based learning in their current courses.
Proposals for the 2020-2021 academic year must include a cover sheet with the following information:
- Your name, department, e-mail address, and campus phone
- Title of the course to be developed (for use in LDCW announcements)
- A brief (fewer than 50 words) description of the course (for use in LDCW announcements)
- Signatures of your department chair or program director and the appropriate dean acknowledging that they will allow a course release if that is the form the award will take
In addition, the proposal should address the following:
- Describe the course that you plan to develop. What would its focus be? Who would the primary audience be for this course? When would you anticipate first offering it?
- Describe your plan for developing this course. What in your background has prepared you to develop it? What additional reading, research, and other activities would you complete in order to develop the course? Please include a bibliography, if appropriate, and a timeline.
- What other Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies courses are currently being offered at St. Thomas in your field or in related fields? How would this course complement these offerings?
- If this is an undergraduate course, briefly indicate how you anticipate it fulfilling the criteria for approval as a Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies course. Please note that it is expected that undergraduate courses developed through this grant must be submitted to the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Advisory Committee for approval, and must be developed with those guidelines in mind. Criteria and procedures for submission are available in the Luann Dummer Center for Women.
- What is the likelihood that this course will become a permanent offering in your department? What level of departmental support do you anticipate? What difficulties might arise?
- Please list all grants that you have received in the past three years, including sabbatical leaves, faculty development grants, departmental course releases, and outside awards. Please also indicate if you are applying for other grants during the academic year in which you would receive this award.
- Prepare a budget for this award, indicating whether the award would be used for a course release or for other curriculum development activities (with total expenditures not to exceed the equivalent of one course replacement by an adjunct faculty member). If the award will be used for a course release, please also have your department chair/program director and your dean sign the application cover sheet.
The application cover sheet and proposal should be submitted as one PDF or Word document to the Luann Dummer Center for Women, email@example.com, no later than 4:30 pm on Friday, April 3, 2020. Members of the LDCW Advisory Board will then review applications and notify applicants of their decision.
The Luann Dummer Center for Women requests that all recipients be involved in various LDCW programs (such as Feminist Fridays) throughout the duration of their grant. These and other events can be found on our website.