St. Thomas provides all university members with an account that includes access to a St. Thomas email, an important means of communication and collaboration on campus.
All mailboxes include:
Note: Make sure to login with your full email@example.com. If you still cannot login, your password may have expired and can be reset on the ITS Password webpage.
Email on your mobile device
Setup your St. Thomas email so that you can stay informed anywhere you go.
ITS mail servers are configured to allow your smart phone and tablet to synchronize your email, calendar and contacts.
See instructions below for configuration of your Office 365 account on common mobile devices.
- Connect to the internet
- Locate your Settings icon
- Locate “Mail, contacts, Calendars
- Locate and click on “Add Account”
- Select the “Exchange”
- Enter your UST email address (not your vanity email eg. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enter your UST password (remember passwords expire every 120 days)
- Enter a description (e.g. St. Thomas Email)
- Click on “Next”
- Choose the options that you want to sync to this device
- Click on “Save”
- Reboot your phone
- Download and install the Outlook app
- Once installed locate and open the app
- Add your Office 365 Account
a) If there is one domain\username box, type your full email address (eg. email@example.com)
b) If there are two separate boxes for domain and username, leave the Domain box empty and type your full email address in the username box
- Enter your UST password (Remember passwords expire every 120-days)
- Continue through the prompts
- Reboot your phone
- Please make sure that you are connected to the internet.
- From the Home screen, press the applications icon and select Email
- Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org and your password
- Choose Manual Setup
- Select "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync"
- Change the Exchange server to: outlook.office365.com
- If desired, ensure Use secure connection (SSL) and Accept all SSL certificates are checked then click Next
- Press the Email Checking frequency dropdown > Select the desired frequency of sync
- Press the Amount to synchronize dropdown > Select the desired amount
- Select the desired account options (the account option is enabled if a green check mark is present)
- Send email from this account by default.
- Notify me when email arrives.
- Sync contacts from this account.
- Enter an account name and outgoing message name then touch Done.
NOTE: When you configure EAS, you will be asked to set a password for your mobile. The password must be at least 4 characters and will require reset every 120 days. The system will not let you reuse one of your previous 6 passwords and will allow you to fail no more than 10 times before disabling and wiping the device.
- On the Main Applications screen, click on Active Sync.
- Click menu.
- Select Add New Server Source.
- Enter outlook.office365.com as the server name
- Enter username: email@example.com
- Enter password: password
- Domain: mail.stthomas.edu
- Go to office365.stthomas.edu
- Enter your St. Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: This is separate from your vanity email)
- Microsoft will re-direct you to login with your email@example.com and your account password
- Voila! You're logged into Office 365 and can select the Mail app to access your email.
Set up an automatic reply
To turn on or modify automatic replies:
Sign in to Office 365 and select the Mail app
On the nav bar, choose Settings > Automatic replies.
Choose the Send automatic replies option.
Select the Send replies only during this time period check box, and then enter a start and end time to control when automatic replies are sent.
If you don't set a time period, your automatic reply remains on until turned off.
Choose the Send replies only to people in my Contacts list option to limit automatic replies to senders who are in your Contactslist. Or select the option to send automatic replies to anyone who sends you an email message.
In the box at the bottom of the window, type a message to send to people during the time you're away.
If you like, you can highlight your message and use the formatting options at the top of the box to change the font and color of the text, add an emoticon, or customize your message in other ways.
When you're done, choose OK at the top of the page. Then select the App launcher to go back to your email or to other pages.
To turn off automatic replies, return to this page and choose Don’t send automatic replies.
Forwarded messages appear as messages that are forwarded by you. Use a forward message rule when you want the replies to go to the address the messages are forwarded from, and not to the original sender.
- Login to Office 365 and go to the Mail app
- Click on the gear icon for Settings
- Select Mail near the bottom
- On the left menu, go to Mail > Accounts > Forwarding
- Under Forwarding, select Start forwarding
- Enter the forwarding email address
NOTE: Select or deselect the Keep a copy of forwarded messages in Outlook on the web check box.
You can request a vanity email for more formal communications through our Self-Service Request Form.
Instead of firstname.lastname@example.org as your email address, you could request any variation of your name:
Note: You will still login to university systems with your username (smit1234) but your email communications will be more formal with a vanity email address that reflects your name.
If you've had a legal name change and wish to change this on your St. Thomas account, you will need to go through a formal process. Students will need to complete this process with the Registrar. Faculty and Staff can complete this through Human Resources.
Visit our Spam and Phishing page to answer questions and learn more.
Remember to never give away your username or password, especially via email! The university never asks you for your password in an email and never asks you to click on any link to upgrade your account or prevent its deletion.