Upgrade to Office 2016
All university computers will be upgraded to Office 2016, the latest version of the Microsoft Office suite this Spring.
Information Technology Services highly recommends that university members take proactive steps to ensure they have the current version installed on their work computer using the instructions included below due to enhancements with Office 365, OneDrive, and increased security and features with Office 2016. This provides members an opportunity to become acquainted with the new features and identify any changes to performing essential tasks before the start of Spring semester. The installation generally takes about an hour, depending on network speeds, and will require a reboot at the end of the installation.
NOTE: If you are running the Windows 10 operating system, then you already have Office 2016. This software was installed on all new computers that were replaced this past summer.
- Close any open Office applications including Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Click on the Start Menu
- Type Software Center into the search box at the bottom of the menu
- Click on the search result for Software center
- Click on the icon for Microsoft Office 2016 with Project
- Click Install
- Once the installation is complete, please restart your computer
NOTE: Office 2016 requires Mac OS 10.10 or later. If you are running Mac OS 10.9, you will first need to upgrade your operating system before you can install Office 2016. To upgrade your computer to macOS Sierra, launch the Self Service app, locate “macOS Sierra,” and click Upgrade.
- Verify your Mac OS is up to date
- Go to your Applications Folder
- Launch the Self Service application
- Find Microsoft Office 2016 and click Install.
- At the prompt, click Install.
- Wait for the software to download and install. You can follow the progress at the top of the Self Service window.
- Restart your computer
- Note the new Microsoft Office icons in your dock.