Outlook Web App (OWA)
The OWA allows members of the St. Thomas community with a UST email account to access their mail from any location with an internet connected web browser. OWA is the most common way St. Thomas students access their email from on or off campus.
- OWA allows users to send and check email, turn on or off out of office messages, retrieve deleted emails, organize email folders, and access Outlook Calendar functions.
- OWA is accessible on all current web browsers, however as web browsers vary in design and function, be aware that some browsers may have more limited functionality than others.
- Below are a list of Frequently Asked Quetions. There is also an extensive help section within OWA which is accessed by clicking on the help ? icon in the upper right hand corner of your OWA screen.
How do I log in?
OWA can be found by going to www.stthomas.edu and clicking on the Tools menu from the top banner and then clicking Email. Then click on Outlook Mail. Or you can go straight to https://mail.stthomas.edu. You will then need to log in with your username and password. Your username starts with the first four letters of your last name followed by four random digits.
I can't log in. What do I do?
Passwords expire every 90 days for Faculty/Staff and 365 days for students. Password expiration is often the cause of login failures. Go to www.stthomas.edu/password and try logging in with your most recent password. You can also try entering your username and then clicking the forgot password link, which will prompt you to answer a few of your challenge questions, which you set up when you claimed your account. Your challenge questions may be modified at any time at www.stthomas.edu/password.
I can only use the Light Version of OWA. What does that mean?
The light version of Outlook Web App is optimized for accessibility, such as for users who are blind or have low vision. The light version provides fewer features and is faster for some operations. OWA may default to the Light version if you are using an older browser. Check which browser you are using. Be sure that your browser is the same version or newer than these browsers: Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3.0.1, Chrome 3.0. 195.27, or Safari 3.1.
What are conversations? How do I turn them on/off?
Conversation view shows all messages in a conversation, no matter what folder they’re stored in.
- To turn this view on/off, Click on View, located just above the center panel with the list of your messages along with New, Delete, Move and Filter. Click on Use Conversations to check/uncheck this option.
Is there a way to change the color scheme of OWA?
Yes! Click on Options in the upper right hand corner and browse through the various themes by clicking the left and right arrows. Click on a Theme to enable it.
How do I view a secondary mailbox?
- Click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen
- Type in the name of the mailbox
- Click Open…
How do I forward my email to another address?
- After you sign in to Outlook Web App, click Options > Create an Inbox Rule.
- On the Inbox Rules tab, click New.
- Under When the message arrives, select Apply to all messages.
- Under Do the following, select Redirect the message to.
- Type the email address that you would like your mail sent to in the Mail recipients: To field.
- Click OK to save your selections.
- Click More Options
- Under Do the following and Forward, redirect, or send choose one of the following:
- Redirect the message to (message comes from original sender)
- Forward the message to (message sender is your UST account)
- Forward the message as an attachment
- Click Save to save your rule and return to the Inbox Rules tab.
How do I set up an Out of Office (OOO) Message?
- After you sign in to Outlook Web App, click Options > Set Automatic Replies.
- Select Send automatic replies and Send replies only during this time period.
- Specify the time period that you want the out of office message to be sent.
- In the first text box, type the Out of Office message that you would like to be sent to users affiliated with the University of Saint Thomas.
- Select Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization if you would like your Out Of Office message to be sent to email addresses not affiliated with the University of Saint Thomas.
- In the second text box, type the Out of Office message that you would like to be sent to users outside of the University of Saint Thomas.
- Click Save to save your automatic reply.