How to Submit an IRB Application
All applications and supporting documents must be submitted through www.IRBNet.org. Federal regulations require the University of St. Thomas IRB maintain records of all project documents for a minimum of three years upon completion of the study.
Registering a New User in IRBNet
- On the IRBNet homepage, click “New User Registration” in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- IRBNet will ask you to enter your first and last name and create a username and password. After entering this information, click “Continue.”
- You will be asked to affiliate your account with the University of St. Thomas. Find the University by either scrolling through the list or typing “University of St. Thomas” into the search bar. Be sure to select “University of St. Thomas, Saint Paul, MN” before continuing.
- IRBNet will now ask you to enter contact information. The IRB recommends using your St. Thomas email address. After entering contact information, click “Continue.”
- Next, you will be ask to confirm the information you have entered and then click “Register.”
- You will receive an email from email@example.com. Click the link provided in the message to activate your account.
- Your account is now registered! To begin a protocol, login using the username and password that you created during the registration process.
How to Create a New Project in IRBNet
- After you have registered your account in IRBNet, log in using the username and password you created. Upon logging in you will be directed to a page entitled “My Projects.” Any protocols that you have created will appear here.
- To begin a new project, click “Create New Project” on the left side of the page. You will be asked to enter information about your study. After entering the correct information, click “Continue.”
- After clicking “Continue,” you will be brought to the Designer page. Forms can be downloaded by visiting the Document Library at the top of the page. Find the documents you will need for your research study in the list and download them to your desktop.
- Fill out the correct application and supporting documents relevant to your protocol and be sure to save them to your computer.
- After all necessary forms have been completed, you can assemble your project package by going to your project Designer page and selecting “Add New Document.”
- Choose the relevant document type and select “Browse” to retrieve the document from your computer. Once the document is selected, click “Attach.”
- To add more than one document to your project package repeat steps 5 and 6 until all necessary documents have been uploaded.
- Once your protocol package is fully assembled, select “Sign this Package” on the left side of the page. Select your role from the dropdown menu, and click “Sign.” You will be asked to verify your identity by entering your username and password.
- To obtain signatures from other research personnel or your advisor, click “Share this Project” and search for the members of your research study by name. Please note that in order to share the project the person you are sharing it with must be a registered user in IRBNet.
- After all necessary signatures are received, you are ready to submit your project package. Before you submit your project package, verify that all necessary documents have been included and that all signatures have been obtained. Once complete, click “Submit this Package” on the left side of the page.
For additional information (including pictures) on submitting IRBNet packages, click here.
For Instructions on submitting an Application for Continuing Review, click here.
For instructions on submitting an Application to Amend Previously Approved Research, click here.