Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a student employment job?

Who is eligible for student employment?

  • St. Thomas degree seeking students at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels.
  • Students must be actively enrolled at least part-time in courses for credit (part time for undergraduate students = 6 credits; graduate students = 3 credits) or satisfy one of the following:
    • Freshmen students who are registered for courses and have paid their deposit may work the summer prior to their first semester.
    • Students starting class in Spring term may work during J-term as long as they are registered for Spring term classes.
    • Students graduating in May can work through Summer term.
    • Students graduating in Fall can work through the last day of J-term finals.

Who is not eligible for student employment?

  • Students graduating in J-term cannot work past the last day of J-term finals.
  • International students who graduate in May are not eligible to work past the last day of the term (per immigration regulations).
  • Exchange students from other ACTC colleges are not eligible for student employment.
  • If a student drops all of their courses, they are not eligible for student employment.
  • Graduate students working on comprehensive exams and/or their thesis and not taking courses for credit are not eligible for student employment.

Does federal or state work study guarantee me a job?

  • A federal or state work-study award does not guarantee a job and students are not assigned jobs.  St. Thomas students must apply through the student employment application process to obtain a job.

Can I work on campus without a financial aid award?

  • Yes. Financial aid is not a requirement for working on campus.
  • However, there are a few jobs where a financial aid award is a requirement.

How do I find a job?

  • You can view and apply to on-campus employment opportunities on our Jobs at St. Thomas website.

I can't find a job, what should I do?

  • It is important to apply to as many jobs as possible and remain flexible when deciding which jobs to apply for.
  • Student employment opportunities are posted on a daily basis throughout the year so it is important to check the Jobs at St. Thomas website frequently.
  • Be sure your resume is up to date.  The Career Development Center is available to assist you with your resume or cover letter.

What paperwork or online forms are required to start working?

  • If this is your first job at St. Thomas or it has been more than 12 months since you last worked at St. Thomas, you must complete new hire paperwork in the Human Resources Office in Aquinas Hall, room 217.
  • The paperwork includes: Form I-9, Form W-4, and Privileged Access Confidentiality Agreement (PACA).
  • Once your paperwork is complete, you must submit a Student Employment Form via Murphy Online.  Review “Submitting a Student Employment Form” for instructions.
  • Certain positions may require a background check.  In such cases, an authorization form would be emailed to you by our vendor, OrangeTree.
  • International students should contact the Office of International Students & Scholars after accepting a job offer to make sure all requirements for employment have been met.

What is the Form I-9?

  • The Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 is a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form.  It is used by an employer to verify an employee’s identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the United States.

How do I complete my Form I-9?

  • Your Form I-9 must be completed in the Human Resources office located on the St. Paul campus in Aquinas Hall, room 217.
  • To complete this form you will need to show proof of identification and work authorization by providing acceptable documentation.  See the List of Acceptable Documents for Form I-9.
    • All documents must be unexpired and an original or certified copy.  Photo copies and expired documents cannot be accepted.
  • The employment verification documents required for international students vary depending on visa status.  International students should contact Human Resources (651-962-6510 or for a complete list of acceptable documents.

What kinds of jobs are available?

  • There is a wide variety of jobs available both on campus and off; some include:
    • Food Services
    • Tutors
    • Desk Attendants
    • Research Assistants
    • Tour Guides
    • Public Safety
    • Department Assistants
    • Libraries
    • Athletics
    • Anderson Student Center
    • Anderson Athletic Center

I was expecting more of a variety of jobs to choose from, are there other employment opportunities?

  • Student employment opportunities are posted on a daily basis throughout the year, so check the Jobs at St. Thomas website frequently.
  • If you are unable to find a job through the student employment program, the Career Development Center posts off-campus employment opportunities which you can search using the TommieCareers portal.

What are the pay rates?

  • Student employment pay rates vary per hour based on several factors including the type of work, education, and experience.

How flexible is student employment with my class schedule?

  • Student supervisors understand that education comes first and try to accommodate the demands of coursework whenever possible.  It is important to share your work availability and your class schedule with your supervisor so they can plan accordingly.  It is also important to give your supervisor as much notice as possible if you need to miss work.

What are the benefits to working on campus?

  • FICA tax exemption – students classified as half-time or more are exempt from FICA tax while working on campus.
  • Flexibility – supervisors at St. Thomasunderstand that your first priority is your education.
  • Convenience.
  • Learning experience.
  • Financial aid (contact Financial Aid for eligibility information).

How do I know if I am hired?

  • The supervisor will contact you to offer you the position and provide instructions to complete your new hire paperwork in Human Resources (if you have not already done so).  You can also contact the supervisor for the position and ask them.

How many hours can I work?

  • International students may work up to a combined 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per week when not enrolled in courses, during the summer, holidays, and vacation periods if registered for the next academic semester.
  • It is recommended that non-international students work no more than 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes; however, they may work up to 40 hours per week throughout the year.
  • The 20- and 40-hour per week limits are based on a combined total of hours of all jobs worked at St. Thomas.