Unpaid Leave of Absence

There are some situations when an employee may feel that it is necessary to be away from work for an extended period of time.  Before an employee can request an unpaid leave of absence all available paid leave time (such as vacation, PLT, floating holiday, disability, and family emergency/parental leave) must be depleted.

Except in situations where there is a clear, urgent emergency, requests for unpaid leave should be made in writing to the employee's supervisor at least 30 days prior to the expected start of the leave.

The final decision concerning the request will be made by the department head in conjunction with the Vice President of the area and the appropriate person(s) in the Department of Human Resources.

During an unpaid leave of absence that is shorter than 2 months, the employee will be required to pay the employee cost of his/her benefits.  The balance of the fringe benefits will be continued by the university.  For unpaid leaves that are longer than 2 months, COBRA is triggered.  The employee will be required to pay for the full cost of any fringe benefits they would like to continue during the leave, effective the first day of the month following the start of the leave.

Voluntary Unpaid Leave of Absence Program

As part of the University’s ongoing efforts to control and reduce cost, it has adopted a Voluntary Unpaid LOA Program. This program affords staff members the opportunity to take time off without pay.  All unpaid leaves granted under this program must be taken voluntarily, initiated by the employee, and approved by the employee’s department head and dean, program director or vice president.  To request a voluntary unpaid leave of absence, complete the Voluntary Unpaid LOA Form.