As a manager at the University of St. Thomas, your ability to effectively lead your staff is critical. Whether you supervise one staff member or a large department, we believe you should have the tools and resources necessary to do your job and successfully manage your staff. The Manager’s Toolkit contains helpful information for first-time supervisors and experienced managers alike. Please be sure to take the time to understand every aspect of developing and managing your staff.
Handbooks, Guidelines, Policies and Resources
- Human Resources Handbook and Other Policies
- Employee Handbook
- Student Employee Handbook
- Student Supervisor Handbook
- Guidelines for Employing Individuals Outside of Minnesota
- Building an Inclusive Workforce
- Staff Search and Selection Checklist
- Temporary Staff Search and Selection Checklist
- Temporary Staff (without a search) Checklist
- On-Call Staff Search and Selection Checklist
- On-Call Staff (without a search) Checklist
The following links provide you with the resources to help you with the hiring process, as well as information and tools to use during the new employee onboarding process.
- Search and Selection Information
- Managers Checklist for Completing the Hiring Process
- New Employee Orientation
- Employee Action Form
Talent Management System (TMS)
- Login to the Talent Management System (TMS)
- Guide for Creating a Requisition and Submitting it for Approval in TMS
Faculty Search Resources
- Qualitative Assessment of Candidate
- Recommendation for Full-Time Faculty Appointment
- Summary of Faculty Search & Selection Process
- Faculty Search and Selection Checklist
- Suggested Wording for Faculty Postings
Terminations, Transfers, and Other Employment Related Changes
Managers are responsible for promptly notifying their HR Partner sufficiently in advance of employment changes within their unit, so that HR can timely coordinate the processing of required approvals, documentation and other actions related to employment terminations or transfers. These changes require the manager to complete and submit an Employee Action Form (EAF) prior to the effective date of the change. For example, a termination EAF must be submitted before a replacement requisition can be posted in the Talent Management System (TMS).
Managers also are responsible for promptly notifying their HR Partner when other employment related changes occur. Types of changes requiring managers to notify HR include extension of temporary assignments, supervisor or reporting changes, and contract renewals. HR will work with the manager to identify options for addressing these changing needs and coordinating the actions and documentation required to address them.
- Department Checklist for Faculty Leaving St. Thomas
- Manager's Checklist for Staff Leaving St. Thomas
Information about student employment, including the student employee handbook, forms and other resources, can be found on the Human Resources student employment webpage.
Information about the university's compensation program, policies, forms, and procedures can be found on the Human Resources compensation webpage. Use the following links to access the compensation payment systems and documents.
- Adjunct Faculty Contracts
- Adjunct Faculty Contract System Guide
- Faculty Non-Base Compensation (NBC) Authorization System
- Faculty NBC Security Request Form
- Overload Form
- Faculty Overload Payment System Guide
- Staff Miscellaneous Pay Form
Information about the university's benefits program, policies, forms and procedures can be found on the Human Resources benefits webpage.
Performance Assessment & Management
Information about the university's staff performance assessment and management system, including the policy, process, forms, and resources can be found on the Human Resources performance management webpage.
Training & Development
Information about Human Resources Leadership Academy (classroom training) and online training courses can be found on the Human Resources training and development webpage.
HR Systems, Technology & Reporting
Information about HR's systems, access to online resources and tools, and information about reporting can be found on the Human Resources systems and technology webpage.
Contact Us, Location & Hours
Human Resources Department
Aquinas Hall, Room 217
Main Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm