The UST Pre-Health Professions Scholarship Competition occurs annually during spring semester. Historically, individual awards have ranged from $1000 to over $6000. Scholarship funding and availability varies from year to year. While many of the funds preference students planning to attend medical school, there is opportunity to consider awarding students who plan to enter other health care professional programs/schools.
Eligible students should fill out the following single application to be considered for any and all of the scholarships listed below. The deadline to apply for the 2019 competition is Firday, March 15.
We strongly suggest that you gather all information and supplementary materials before proceeding to the application. Specifically, you will need:
- Your basic academic information (UST ID, major, cumulative GPA minor (if applicable), anticipated graduation date, year in school)
- Your healthcare career goals
- The names and contact information for two UST faculty members willing to speak on your behalf (note: no letters of recommendation are needed. Please just let them know they might be contacted by HPAC for additional information)
- Supplementary materials (saved as PDFs)
- A 500 word (or less) statement about (1) what draws you to a career in healthcare and (2) the activities you have engaged in &/or experiences you have had (so far) that is preparing you for that career
- An unofficiail transcript (available on Murphy)
- A resume highlighting your work/volunteer/research experiences, honors/awards, extra-curricular activities, leadership positions, etc.
Once you have gathered your information/materials, please use this link to submit your application.
The James E. and Katherine C. O'Phelan Scholarship:
This scholarship was established by Dr. Harvey E. O'Phelan. The recipient must be a junior or senior in the year the award will be used.
The Niels and Carol Sorensen Scholarship:
This scholarship is awarded to a student who is majoring in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, or Engineering. The recipient must have a minimum overall UST GPA of 3.6 and be a junior or senior in the year the award will be used. Financial aid note: recipient of this scholarship may not have more than 33% of their tuition already paid by scholarships prior to this award.
The Dr. William Heidrick Memorial Scholarship:
This scholarship is awarded to a student who is majoring in Biology. The recipient must demonstrate financial need as determined by Student Financial Services.
The Raymond E. Parks, M.D. Endowed Memorial Scholarship:
The recipient of this scholarship must have a minimum overall UST GPA of 3.5 and must demonstrate financial need as determined by Student Financial Services.
The Connie D. and William C. Carroll Scholarship:
The recipient must be a junior or senior in the year the award will be used and have a declared major offered by the Department of Biology, or an interdisciplinary major in which the Department of Biology participates (i.e. Biochemistry, Enviromental Science or Neuroscience).