July '16 - June '17
|Total Giving||$ 20,446|
Our Class Scholarship
As part of reunion activities in past years, the class of 1976 endowed a scholarship that has since helped students to make the most of a wonderful opportunity to attend St. Thomas. Below is a note of gratitude from a recent recipient.
“I would like to extend my gratitude for receiving the Class of 1976 Endowed Scholarship to put towards my study abroad trip through the University of St. Thomas.
… I am currently a junior majoring in Biochemisty and minoring in Business Administration. I played basketball for the Women's Basketball team my first two years in which we advanced to the NCAA Division III tournament. After graduating, I plan on enrolling in a Pharmacy program to obtain my Doctor of Pharmacy degree. I currently work at Children's Hospital and Clinics in St. Paul, Minn. as a Certified Pharmacy Technician pursuing my professional aspirations.
As this endowed scholarship increases in size with additional annual contributions as well as investment income, more Tommies will benefit from the generosity of alumni of the class of 1976. Alumni know firsthand the value of a St. Thomas education, and the university's goal is to put that opportunity within reach for all academically qualified students. Reunion giving helps the effort!
Our Class of 1976 Scholarship is awarded by the following criteria:
- The purpose of this scholarship is to enable students to study abroad who otherwise would not be able to afford such a unique educational experience.
- The intent of the award is to help students pay their tuition while studying abroad.
- Recipients should demonstrate need as determined by the Financial Aid Office and/or recommended by the Director of International Studies.
- Awards will be in the range of $2,000 to $4,000. The number of awards will only be limited by the amount available from the spending policy.
- Recipients must be in good standing with the university and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Students who currently are in their sophomore, junior, or senior year are eligible.
- This is for first time study abroad participants who demonstrate merit to the Director of International Studies.
The Class of 1976 Scholarship has a balance* of $43,076.19 and has awarded $4,700 to eight students in the last five years.
*Balance as of 7/1/2015. This fund is not fully endowed.