MN Teacher Candidate Grant
The Minnesota Teacher Candidate Grant provides postsecondary financial assistance to eligible students enrolled in Minnesota teacher preparation programs during one term in which the student is completing a required 12-week or more student teaching experience.
Who is eligible?
In general, applicants must:
- Be enrolled in an eligible Minnesota college or university in an eligible teacher preparation program that requires at least 12 weeks of student teaching in order for the teacher candidate to be recommended for a full professional teaching license;
- Intend to teach in an identified license shortage area and/or belong to a racial or ethnic group underrepresented in the Minnesota teacher workforce;
- Be meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements as defined by the University of St. Thomas;
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act application for the aid year; and
- Demonstrate financial need.
On a funds available basis, selected undergraduate and graduate students may receive awards of up to $7,500 for one term on a first-come, first-served basis.
Eligible students with complete applications on file with the MN Office of Higher Education (MOHE) by the priority deadline will be considered for awards in the specified term. After all available funds have been awarded, completed applications will be placed on a waiting list. Applications will still be accepted after the priority deadline but students are much less likely to be awarded.
To allow the University of St. Thomas Financial Aid Office time to review and complete the College or University Section of your application, we recommend having the application components listed below submitted to the Financial Aid Office one week prior to the MN Office of Higher Education (MOHE) priority deadline.
|Fall 2019||Spring/Summer 2020|
|Suggested Deadline to submit application materials to St. Thomas||August 9, 2019||December 6, 2019|
|MOHE Application Priority Deadline||August 16, 2019||December 13, 2019|
The following items must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office before the College or University Section of the application can be completed and submitted to MOHE:
- 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the MN Dream Act application (if you are not eligible to file the FAFSA)
- Student Section of the 2019-2020 Minnesota Teacher Candidate Grant Application. Available on the Minnesota Office of Higher Education website.
The Minnesota Residency Verification Form and the Student Section of the Minnesota Teacher Candidate Grant Application can be submitted to the Financial Aid Office via mail, fax, e-mail, or in-person. Once you have submitted the items listed above to the Financial Aid Office, your application will be processed within one week.