Preparing for Day One
Increase self-knowledge to become more mindful of diversity in the classroom and to minimize personal bias. This is the required workshop for Inclusive Classroom Institute certification.
Date & Time:
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
St. Paul Campus: Room TBD
Participants will explore ways to increase self-knowledge in order to become more mindful of diversity in the classroom and its complexity. In addition, participants will develop strategies for preparing an inclusive excellence syllabus statement, monitoring classroom climate, and minimizing personal bias.
- Implicit bias: what is it and what are implications for teaching?
- Identifying our implicit biases and making and action plan for addressing them
- Related concept of stereotype threat and strategies for avoiding
- Strategies for monitoring climate throughout the semester
- Student names: accuracy and pronunciation
- Syllabus statement: draft an inclusive excellence syllabus statement and discuss in groups how to introduce it on day one
- Question & Answer: Your experiences with difficult classroom situations
This is the required workshop for Inclusive Classroom Institute certification. Participation in the workshop is open to all faculty whether or not you plan to pursue certification.