Project Management Prep
Prepare to earn your Project Management Professional® certification
Project managers who are dedicated enough to their profession to get a certification from a governing body stand apart from the crowd. Current and potential employers see that you have a strong foundation in project management as well as the desire to be at the top of your professional game.
The Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification, offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI®), is one of the most valued certifications available in project management today.
In Project Management Prep you will:
Align your project management practice with the PMBOK® Guide terminology and school of thought
Formulate a test-taking strategy with the guidance of a PMP®-certified instructor
Receive class materials and the following books:
-The Sixth Edition PMBOK® Guide
-The PMP® Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, Fourth Edition
PMI®, PMP®, and PMBOK® Guide and the PMI Registered Education Provider logo are registered marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.
Prepare yourself for the PMP exam
This Project Management Prep program uses lecture, in-class exercises, and practice questions to teach you what you need to know for the PMP® Certification Exam. Attendees must have a background knowledge in project management, as this is not a foundational program.
In this program you will:
Learn helpful approaches to study for the exam
Identify areas that require further self-study in order to prepare for the test
Align your practical knowledge with the PMBOK® Guide terminology
The ideal candidate will have previously attended a formal project management class and be familiar with concepts presented in the PMBOK® Guide from the Project Management Institute.
The ideal candidate will have previously attended a formal project management class, will be familiar with concepts presented in the PMBOK® Guide from the Project Management Institute, and is planning to take the PMP exam within 60 days of completing the class.
Participant titles/job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Project managers
- Project coordinators
- Project analysts
- Product managers
- Program managers
- Project team members
Who Takes the Project Management Prep Program?
My name is Audrey Thayer and I am a Project Management Professional (PMP®). I enrolled in the Project Management Prep course at St. Thomas to help me prepare for the PMP® exam. I use project management methodologies daily in my role as Marketing Manager at Persolvent, a software company. I've also held traditional Project Manager roles throughout my career. I knew that having my PMP® would set me apart from the pack and aid in future job offers and salary negotiations.
Prior to finding the St. Thomas program, I had taken an online course to help me study. I kept failing my practice exams, even after completing the online course. I knew that in-class training would be more suitable to my learning style, which led me to St. Thomas. Being able to ask questions, learn from my peers and gain perspective from my instructor was key in successfully passing my exam. Having a binder of slides and personal notes to study from was also a huge asset. Shortly after taking the Prep course I took the PMP® exam and passed on my first try.
I would recommend this program to anyone wanting to prepare themselves to take the PMP® exam. I’ve already referred some of my colleagues to take this program and other programs that Wayne Kaul, the instructor, teaches. I’m so happy to have this credential. It has already given me more authority in my field.
Gain test-taking strategies from a PMI certified instructor
Our instructors are known for their real-world experience as well as their expertise in developing educational opportunities for adult learners.
Wayne Kaul, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP
Wayne Kaul is an adjunct faculty member within the Executive Education Department of the Opus College of Business at the University of St. Thomas. He draws on more than 35 years of experience in corporate leadership, systems development, project management, education, and consulting.
Kaul's professional experience includes positions in engineering, research & development, and information technology. He has expertise in planning, managing and directing global IT projects, as well as IT financial management and vendor management practices. He holds two United States patent awards as a result of his work in engineering and product development.
His experience as an instructor/lecturer includes courses in project management, operations management, Lean Six Sigma, strategic management and business policy. He is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) and an Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) through the internationally-recognized Project Management Institute.
Invest in your career - Gain a strong ROI
Why Choose Project Management Prep?
- Take Steps Toward PMP® Designation. Earn 28 contact hours of REP (Registered Education Provider) training required for Project Management Practitioner designation through the Project Management Institute (PMI)®. There are 7 additional contact hours available online.
- Prepare to Conquer the Exam. Learn from a seasoned instructor on how to best prepare for the exam. You will walk away with tips and strategies on how to study and how to feel confident on exam day.
- Gain a Solid Understanding of the PMBOK® Guide. You'll work through the Project Management Body of Knowledge® and understand what it means to be a PMP® certified project manager.
Additional Program Details:
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study and will be noted on your completion certificate.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
- There are no prerequisites for this program.
PMI® Certification Holders or Seekers:
- This program has been approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI®) for the 35 contact hours required to sit for the PMI-PMP® exam. 35 Hours of training is required to sit for the PMP® exam.
- If you currently hold a PMI certification, this program counts as 35 PDUs for maintaining your credentials.
PMI® and PMP® are registered marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.