The Coach Approach to Management
Effective coaching skills for managers
Studies show that successful business leaders who use a coaching style of management have employees who feel empowered, engaged, and motivated. Their work environment is one that is highly collaborative and encourages creativity, rather than ones that demotivates and crushes morale.
The University of St. Thomas’ The Coach Approach to Management program emphasizes the development of your management skills including:
- Understanding your own beliefs as a leader and how they affect your management style
- Maintaining an open and empowering work environment rather than one that stifles creativity and drains motivation
- Delivering feedback that promotes self-responsibility, commitment and collaboration
- Building trusting relationships with team members, colleagues, and even your boss
- Confidently having difficult yet productive conversations with others
- Balancing employee accountability and your managerial expectations
- Being an effective leader who can motivate while still managing
Manage your team more effectively by using a coaching perspective
The Coach Approach to Management Program focuses on topics necessary to transform your management style.
During the three sessions you will assemble My Coaching Toolbox, a personal portfolio that organizes what you learned and contains the tools you’ll utilize as you coach others, which include:
- The coach approach to management
- Core Values Index and roles assessments
- Identifying your strengths and growth edges
- Phases of a coaching conversation
- Active listening and empathy
- Understanding how others tick
- Contracting conversations versus conflict
- Coaching for performance
- Effective feedback
- Developing responsibility in others
Enrich your management style
The Coach Approach to Management program is designed for any manager who wants to make themselves more valuable to their current organization. It teaches valuable management skills to professionals who have departments, direct reports, colleagues, and bosses they’ll be coaching, either informally or formally.
Participant titles and job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Operations Manager
- General Manager
- Sales Manager
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Manager
- Brand Manager
- HR Manager
- Project Manager
- Management Analyst
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
- Individuals looking to advance in their careers or those making a career change
Learn from our top-notch faculty with industry experience
As an adjunct faculty member at the University of St. Thomas, Stacey currently acts as lead faculty/program administrator for UST’s Executive Coaching Certificate. She coaches in UST’s Physician Leadership College and teaches emotional intelligence in another Executive Education program.
Since 2008, Stacey has helped managers, directors and HR Partners become more confident, engaging, and impactful leaders, and find their own authentic leadership style. She specializes in taking a coaching approach to management, which helps leaders address common issues such as: creating a leadership vision, facilitating change management, giving feedback, dealing with conflict, empowering/engaging employees, and increasing accountability.
As owner of Authentic Edge, LLC, Stacey provides leadership coaching and consulting services in Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area in a variety of fields, including but not limited to healthcare, manufacturing, city government, non-profit, and education. Prior to opening her firm, Stacey spent a decade as a manager in the K-12 education system, overseeing curriculum, instruction and assessment, implementing large-scale change initiatives and helping teachers, principals and staff improve their effectiveness.
Stacey trained as an ontological coach with Newfield Network in Colorado, and holds a Doctorate in Leadership from the University of St. Thomas.
Gain insight into your management style
My Coaching Toolbox
By taking The Coach Approach to Management program, you equip yourself with the right knowledge, tools and skills to immediately make a difference in how you manage. You’ll return to your job with My Coaching Toolbox, a personal portfolio that organizes what you learned and contains the tools you’ll utilize as you coach others.
Individual Coaching Sessions
You will receive two individual coaching sessions. These personalized sessions will allow you to experience what a coaching session looks like, including how they are structured. You will have the opportunity to explore your strengths and development opportunities, and set a course for your own development. You will see firsthand the principles of coaching demonstrated for you.
Module I: What is a Coach Approach to Management?
Upon completing this session, you will understand the coaching approach to management, identify your core values, gain insight into your effective management strengths and growth edges, and gain self-awareness in your approach to management.
You will walk away from this session with your redefined approach to management, along with your Core Values Index (CVI) assessment results and coaching self-assessment results.
Module II: The Phases of a Coaching Conversation
During this session, you will learn a three-step model for how to have a coaching conversation as well as gain experience through practice. You will develop skills in active listening and asking powerful questions, and gain insight in how to better understand the person you are coaching.
You will leave this session equipped with a framework for coaching conversations, a guide to asking more powerful questions, and a model to help you better understand others.
Module III: Empowering Employees through Feedback and Accountability
One of the most important roles a manager plays is giving feedback to help each employee learn, grow and improve their performance. Learn how to have regular, powerful coaching conversations for performance, develop feedback loops, and build employee accountability, rather than relying upon yearly performance evaluations. Learn techniques for giving feedback in even the toughest situations.
The feedback model and promise management techniques covered in this session will prove to be valuable resources to have in My Coaching Toolbox.
Invest in your career - Gain a strong ROI
Why Choose The Coach Approach to Management?
- Receive personalized coaching sessions. Each participant will walk away with two individual coaching sessions with a professional coach.
- Understand your management style. You will complete several personal assessments throughout the program to get an in-depth look into how you manage.
- Build relationships. Know how to build trust with your co-workers and boss.
- Equip yourself with the right tools to coach your way through difficult conversations.
Additional Program Details:
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study and will be noted on your completion certificate.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
- There are no prerequisites for this program.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.