To learn more about the research that has been done through Excel! and the success of its alumni, check out these Newsroom stories:
- Stephanie Garcia ’17 was fully funded for her Biomedical Sciences PhD track at Rutgers.
- Dustyn Montgomery '20 talked about how Excel! helped him lauch his academic career.
- Jonathan Santos ’17 researched how race can influence memes.
- Divine Zheng ’18 researched how high schools teach the civil rights movement.
- Ashley DeMaio ’18 researched if thinking in third person would help make courtroom sentencing fairer.
- Thao Do ’17 researched whether we remember notes better when we take them on a computer or by hand.
- An overview of the 2015 Journey for Justice trip.
- Sandra Pulles ’11 helped formulate math interventions as part of the Minnesota Math Corps.
- Kelsey Benton ’15 researched whether people with depression have different stress responses than those who don’t have depression.
- Robin Willenbring ’12, who just completed her PhD through the Mayo Clinic, did science education outreach during her time there.
Past McNair and Excel! Scholars
Please join us in congratulating our previous McNair and Excel! Scholars for their success in completing advanced degrees and continued work in higher education.
B.S. Psychology: UST 2010
Ph.D. Psychology: University of Michigan 2017
B.S. International Business, American Culture and Difference: UST 2011
M.P.P. Ford School of Public Policy: University of Michigan Ann Arbor
Doctorcal Candidate, Department of Sociology: Yale University (Fully Funded)
B.S. Geography: UST 2013
MGIS (Master of Geographic Information Science): University of MN Twin Cities
B.S. Mechanical Engineering: UST 2009
Ph.D. Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering: Prudue 2017
B.S. Biology: UST 2012
Ph.D. Biochemistry: Mayo Clinic 2017
B.S. UST 2011
Ph.D. Psychology: University of MN Twin Cities
B.S. UST 2010
Pharm.D. University of MN Duluth School of Pharmacy 2015
Shanea Turner Smith
B.S. Social Work: UST 2014
MSW Washington University Olin Scholar (Fully Funded)
B.S. Biology: UST 2015
M.S. University of Nebraska. She will be continuing here as a Ph.D. candidate. (fully funded)
B.S. UST 2017
Attending Mitchell Hamline School of Law on Scholarship.
MPH University of Tennessee 2017
- Xing Gao, MPH candidate, will attend University of California Berkeley, partial scholarship.
- Stephanie Garcia, Ph.D cadidate Neuroscience, Rutgers University, fully funded.
- Mondraya Howard, Ph.D candidate at University of Pittsburgh - Pharmacology, fully funded.
- Dr. Sally Mahmoud, completed MD at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. She is currently a resident Physician in Baltimore, MD.
- Dr. Paul Maitland-McKinley, completed MD and is practicing at Oregon Health Science University in Portland, Oregon.
Other past graduates:
Adam Baker, M.A. Higher Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Lauren Miller, M.A. American Studies at Purdue University
Aquanette Early, M.S.W. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Mai Eng Lee, M.S.W. University of Wisconsin, Madision
Ariel Gittens, M.S. Queens University of Kingston, ON