Applications for the 2019-2020 cohort will become avaliable October 15th, 2018. There will be an informational meeting about the Excel! Research Scholars Program fall 2018. Date TBD
Faculty, do you have a student who would benefit from this program? Tell us about him or her! Please fill out this short form so that we can get in contact with the student and encourage them to apply.
For more information about the program you can request an appointment with the program Director, Cynthia Fraction at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to meet with you!
Students applying to the Excel! Research Scholars Program are applying to be a part of a growing community of students who seek to make scholarship their priority. Excel! Scholars are students who recognize the fact that academic achievement and the pursuit of scholarship is critical to the success of being a valued leader. Excel! Scholars are preparing for advanced education to become the best-prepared leaders they can be.
To best help students prepare for the graduate school admissions process and educational experience, the Excel! Research Scholars Program seeks to invite applications from prospective students who are rising sophomores (first-year students) and rising juniors (sophomores). This gives students at least 2 to 3 years preparation for the graduate school admission process and educational experience. Rising seniors (current juniors) will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis with final admission being at the discretion of the program’s director. Applications are now being accepted. The Excel! Research Scholars Program is pleased to invite applications from students who meet the following criteria:
- You must be a first-generation and/or low-income student and/or an under-represented student by race in your field of study.
- full-time, undergraduate student at the University of St. Thomas (Minnesota)
- 2.85 cumulative GPA with a 3.0 GPA in required courses for your major (for rising sophomores, AP, IB, and PSEO is a plus but not required).
- At least 60 credits completed (for rising Juniors and seniors) by end of Spring semester
- 32 credits completed (for rising sophomores) by end of Spring semester
- Seniors must have a 3.2 GPA to be considered for admission
- Must be pursuing a degree in a research-based field. Students in professional fields will be considered on a case-by-case basis with the understanding that research must be needed to accomplish their academic and career goals.
The following is a checklist of the application materials required for admission consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The application deadline is January 18, 2019 at 4:30p.m. Applicants are strongly encouraged to ensure that their application submission is neat, clean and professional. Applicants are encouraged to read the application instructions thoroughly to make sure all components of the application are submitted and, submitted accurately. The application components are the following:
- Application Form (click on the link above to access the Application Form)
- Unofficial Transcript from Murphy Online
- Your current Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Copy of your government issued ID (No Social Security Card please)
- Copy of your University ID
- Personal Statement (the prompt can be found on the application)
- Statement of Purpose (the prompt can be found on the application)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty. Click on the link above to download the Faculty Recommendation form. Email this form to your faculty recommenders. Once completed your faculty recommenders should send the form directly to the program office (AQU 319) in an envelope, with their signature on the envelope.
- *If you are a first-generation college student you must submit your signed parent document which can be found on the Application Form
All application materials can be scanned and sent to email@example.com or brought to AQU 320.
Once applications have been received, a committee will begin to review completed applications meeting the application requirements. Qualified applicants who have compelling applications will be invited for a professional interview in February of 2019. After interviews have been completed, seven (7) new scholars will be chosen to represent the new cohort.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to contact us via telephone at 651-962-5960.