Thank You for Your Gifts to the English Department!
Because of your generosity, we are able to:
Invite nationally- and internationally-renowned guest writers and scholars to campus to read from their work and talk with our majors
Scholar Devoney Looser, author of The Making of Jane Austen, gave a lecture at St. Thomas in May 2018. She was the inaugural speaker in the Paul Hague Distinguished Writer Lecture series, sponsored by alumnus Jim Kurpius '60. In October 2018, the English Department hosted poet Kaveh Akbar, who gave a reading from his collection Calling a Wolf a Wolf and lectured on the theme of sanctuary.
Support annual scholarships for outstanding English majors
The Joseph B. Connors Scholarship: 2018-2019 recipient was Molly Moriarty
Fund research assistantships for both undergraduate and graduate students to work directly with professors
Sponsor students' travel to present their research findings and creative writing at conferences
In the past two years students have presented and enjoyed networking at the following conferences:
- AWP (Association of Writers and Writing Programs)
- Modern Language Association
- Nineteenth-Century Studies Association
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- Southeastern Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- Research Society for Victorian Periodicals
- Northern Plains Conference on Early British Literature
- Streamlines Undergraduate Conference Celebrating Language, Literature, and Writing
- University of St. Francis Undergraduate Conference on English Literature and Language
Offer students professional development opportunities
In June 2016 Megan Vaughan studied at the Summer Institute in Narrative Medicine at Columbia University.
Buy tickets and memberships for students to visit and work with cultural organizations
Please contact department chair Dr. Olga Herrera (email@example.com or 651-962-5613) if you would like to make a gift to the English Department.