Luann Dummer Center for Women Research Award
The Luann Dummer Center for Women is pleased to offer a graduate fellowship to a student who will conduct research on topics related to girls and/or women. This award has been offered since the 1999-2000 academic year.
Full-time and part-time students in all graduate programs are invited to apply for the 2017-2018 academic year. Students must be enrolled at UST during most or all of this time period. Application deadline: Friday, March 17, 2017.
This research may be conducted as part of a course, a thesis or a dissertation, or it may be conducted as a credit or non-credit independent study. Whatever the format, the student must have a faculty sponsor to guide the project and support the application. The research fellow agrees to credit the Luann Dummer Center for Women as co-sponsor and funder in all research outcomes. The fellow also agrees to submit a formal research report and to present their work at a Feminist Friday event in the Luann Dummer Center for Women during spring semester. A $4,000 stipend will be awarded to the student to support work on the project, and a $1,500 stipend will be provided to the faculty sponsor.
In reviewing applications, the LDCW Advisory Board members will pay special attention to:
- the degree to which the project is centered on the significance of gender in its focus on girls and/or women
- the familiarity with and use of methodologies related to that task
- the clarity of the research objectives and the process for conducting research
- the overall academic strength of the applicant and the likelihood of successfully completing the project
- the reasonableness of the timeline (including IRB approval where applicable)
- the originality of the proposal, including its use of alternative methodologies that pay particular attention to gender
- the support of the faculty sponsor
TO APPLY: Electronically submit the following items by Friday, March 17, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover Letter with the following information:
- Student's name, department, student ID number, home address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Degree program and anticipated degree conferral date
- Proposed title of research project and abstract (less than 50 words)
- Faculty sponsor's name, department, phone number, and e-mail address
2. Formal proposal, not to exceed 7 pages (1.5 or double-spaced) that addresses the following:
- Describe your research project. What will its focus be? What do you hope to learn from conducting this research? What is its significance within your discipline and for a broader audience?
- Describe your research activities and methods. Provide an overview of the literature related to your project, including important citations. What resources will you need to conduct this research?
- Provide a timetable for your research. (Note: if your research involves human subjects, allow time for prior approval by the UST Institutional Review Board)
- Describe your educational background and how it prepares you to conduct this research. What related courses have you taken? How does this research fit into your development as a scholar or a professional?
- What other sources of funding for this research do you currently have or have you applied for this year?
3. Letter of support from faculty sponsor
4. Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
Questions? Please contact Dr. Young-ok An, Associate Professor of English and Director of the Luann Dummer Center for Women at 962-6118 or via e-mail to email@example.com.