- Improve understanding of the power of language to shape ideas, individuals, values, and societies.
- Foster scholarly habits of critical thinking in speaking, reading, and writing.
- Promote an awareness of current issues and theoretical approaches in the discipline of literary and language studies.
- Cultivate an independent ability to read texts responsibly, comprehensively, and imaginatively.
- Develop skills in formulating sophisticated generalizations about writers, genres, and literary influences and periods.
- Refine the ability to communicate ideas in clear, engaging, and convincing prose.
- Offer an opportunity for sustained engagement with the ethical and aesthetic dimensions of literature, and of writing in general